33. New York 2012

** a/n: Feeling awful for nearly three months between updates so here's another. I hope it makes up for the long wait**

The quantum jump was disorienting but paled in comparison to the bewilderment she felt when her feet hit the ground 9 years in the past. The sounds of battle surrounded them pulling her attention several blocks away, where she knew the past version of herself was about to watch her best friend die in her arms. She didn't even realize that Steve had been speaking to them until Tony placed his hand on her shoulder. 

"You got this?" He asked, empathy pouring out of his eyes. 

"Yeah," she replied, retracting her suit and rolling her shoulders to try and ease some of the tension, "easy, peasy."

The look in Tony's eye made it obvious he didn't buy it for a second and for a moment she worried he was going to call her out on it.

"Lemon squeezy," he said instead, pulling her close to place a chaste kiss on the crown of her head. 

The whole group jumped in unison as the Hulk appeared at the end of the alley they were standing in, throwing a car at one at the Chitari, before continuing on his way. Poor Bruce looked absolutely mortified as Steve suggested he smash some things along the way. 

"I think it's gratuitous, but whatever," he relented, tearing the shirt from his body as he left them. 

YN rolled her lips in on themselves in an attempt to stifle her laugher as Bruce tried, and failed miserably, to imitate the more feral version of his green side. 

"Alright Lang, suit up and shrink down," Tony commanded as he donned his own.

YN and Steve watched as the two took to the air before making their way to the tower on foot. Steve couldn't help but notice YNs lack of her normal chatter and he was pretty sure it had little to do with all the times he had chastised her for it in the past. When they reached the corner Stark tower sat on YN froze. If she looked hard enough down the street she could see the sign of the cafe hanging broken on its hinges and hear her own screams in the air. 

"Hey," Steve spoke softly, "you ok?"

Still unable to tear her gaze away from the sign she answered his question with one of her own. 

"If you could go back and save Bucky, would you do it?" 

"YN," Steve sighed placing a hand on her shoulder, "I know it's hard but that's not why we're here."

He was right. She knew that. Still, it took every ounce of willpower she possessed to turn away. 

"I'm sorry," he admitted once she returned her focus to him. "Truly."

She knew he meant it but she also knew if the roles were reversed there would have been nothing she could have said to stop him. She wasn't sure if that made her a stronger or weaker person than he was but she refused to look for the answer. 

"You ready?" He asked, glancing at the building behind them. 

"As I'll ever be, I suppose," she answered, securing the clunky helmet to her head.

With a final pat on her back, they parted ways. Steve sneaking in the back while YN made her way towards the lobby of the tower. They were counting on the chaos of the battle to hide the fact that an extra SWAT member was hanging around but she was still surprised that no one gave her a second glance as she entered through the main doors. It didn't help that she was desperately trying to stifle her giggles as she listened to Tony and Scott debate the aesthetic of Steve's posterior in the old suit. 

Timing was crucial as she tried to keep herself in position without drawing suspicion but again, no one paid her any mind as they tried to wrap their heads around the alien invasion. The march of footsteps down the hall had her heartbeat picking up its pace. Tony came into view first, flanked by Thor, his gaze flitting right over her. A sharp pain hit her in the gut and she had to remind herself that this version of him had no idea she existed. At least it distracted her from the demigod trailing behind them.