Chapter 6 [Neutral Path] - Day 6 - Avoid

Devan woke up with his arm feeling numb, "Ugh. I probably slept on it by accident.". Devan groaned and got up from his sleeping bag. After he had gotten dressed, Devan Started to make breakfast for him and Kathryn, "I wonder if any of my friends are out there? I haven't seen them since before the outbreak, but it'd be amazing if they were." Devan sighed, "The outbreak hit us by surprise, and I barely managed to survive the first wave with Kathryn, so I doubt that any of them would survive.". 

Meanwhile, Jake was still sitting on the rock, planning on what he should do next, "Guess I could see what Devan and the redhead are doing. I don't have anything better to do." Jake slung his backpack over his shoulder and started walking down the road. Jake whistled as he made his first turn, "Based on his reaction from our first interaction, I'm guessing that he doesn't like to get involved in things, so I can't use that strategy on him. I'll have to find some sort of weakness to come up with a plan." Jake sighed, "I just gotta be sneaky, piece of cake."

Kathryn woke up, and as usual, complemented Devan on his cooking, "Smells delicious!" "Thanks, Kathryn, but it's just eggs." "I guess." Kathryn grabbed her plate off of the table and started eating. "Hey Kathryn, if you could have any superpower, what would you have?" "Hmm..." Kathryn furrowed her eyebrows as she thought of an answer, "I think I'd choose to read people's minds." "I guess that would be nice. I would have to choose telekinesis because with it you could technically fly." "How so?" "You could move your clothes." "Huh, I guess you could."

As Devan looked into the distance, he spotted a dark figure emerging from the horizon line, "What's that?" Devan said as he pointed at the thing. As the figure drew closer to Devan, he recognized his distinct appearance immediately, "Kathryn, pack your bags." "Huh? Why?" "We're being watched. It's Jake."

Devan and Kathryn swiftly packed their belongings and drove off into the distance, but this time they decided that they would take extra precautions, "I knew we shouldn't have trusted him," Kathryn blurted out, "Yeah, I could tell something was off when we met him." "If he could track us down, I don't think we should stay in this city." "As much as I don't want to, I think it's necessary.".

Nearly 5 hours had passed before Devan stopped the car, "This is where we'll stay, although tomorrow we should drive the same distance." "Why's that?" "If Jake could reach us in a minimum of 8 hours, that means two things: He can get to us in about 5 days straight, and he's crazy enough to do it.". After the two had finished setting up camp, it was nearly 12 O'clock, so Devan and Kathryn had very little time to prepare. 

Before they knew it, it was the starvation point and the infected started to convulse and twitch, their eyes filling up with blood. Kathryn ran into the group of infected and started shooting, while Devan looked through the scope on his sniper rifle and started shooting. It was the same as always, shooting and waiting, shooting and waiting... until it reached one O'clock, and the two went to sleep.

Word Count: 563