Chapter Seven

It had already been a day since the dream, but Lemon was still terrified by what it could mean. Danger to the spirits? He shouldn't think about it anymore. He didn't want to think about it anymore. Maybe he should explore some, maybe catch some food. After all, they had just arrived at a waterfall an hour or two ago. A large river had gathered under the waterfall, leaving their only option to cross being a fallen tree, but no one had been brave enough to cross it yet.

If you slip into the water, I promise you won't drown, Soothe swore, seeming almost amused at how scared the dogs were at the sight of the river.

Those are rapids! If I don't drown I'll just be pushed down to the bottom and have my skull split open! Lemon argued, though took a couple experimental steps towards the fallen tree.

"Watch your step, Lemon!" Nutmeg called from afar while she helped Ol' Mackerel settle down, "If you're going hunting then take Jackal with you! He's been moping around all day!"

"I'm not moping!" Jackal called back, though Lemon could see him looking like he was moping through all the bushes he was hiding in.

"Yeah, Jackal, we sure believe that. Now, come along. I am actually going hunting," Lemon said calmly, though a question lingered in his mind.

Yes, Jackal won't drown either. No one in your group will. Soothe answered for him without him even needing to ask anything. About to exclaim something about how she could read his mind, the spirit so rudely interrupted, We talk in your mind, Lemon. I have to read your mind to respond. I just wait to be polite and to not freak you out, which I can see you are very much doing. If you would like me to stay out of your silly little head, I can easily take form in these rapids and scare everyone half to death. Ol' Mackerel to death though. Never liked him.

You know Ol' Mackerel? How? Lemon asked as Jackal padded over to him in a gloomy way. "What's got your tail in a twist?" The golden retriever asked the other dog calmly, tilting his head to the side curiously. He waited for Jackal to answer, but he just jumped onto the log and walked across the river, as if Soothe was helping him and not Lemon.

Ol' Mackerel has visited these woods before, you should be aware of that. When he was younger he was a great warrior, always bragging about his accomplishments to SPIRITS. Foolish dog, too arrogant, Soothe growled, her voice radiating annoyance. Now, cross the river before I tear your bones out.

Tear my bones out? What kinds of threats do you spirits have? So weird! Lemon shook his head, though did as he asked and hopped onto the log and reluctantly started to cross. The rapids were hungrily licking at the fallen oak, tearing off pieces of the bark every few seconds and pulling them down into the waves. He tried his best not to look, but it was like the water spirit was purposely trying to terrify him. If that was the case, then boy was it working. However, through all his doubt, Lemon made it to the other side safely, immediately met with the realization that Jackal had ditched him. Where is he?! We're supposed to be hunting!

How am I supposed to know? I control the water, not the land! Oh, that explains it. Your friend is camouflaging with the help of a spirit. Silly little Hope. Never had a spine to refuse helping someone, Soothe's calming voice seemed to be overflowing with disappointment, and he liked to think she was shaking her head, which she probably was. Oldest spirit here and she's learned nothing. But I do have some good news. You're about to meet another spirit.

What?!? How is that good news?! Lemon's head cried, though it was a fruitless attempt as he received no answer from the spirit that occupied his head. He had to find Jackal though, which meant he needed to focus. No matter what, camouflage couldn't hide the smell of an animal, and Lemon was great at tracking. It only took a minute for the golden retriever to find his friend huddled up in the bushes as if that would help him hide, though he also seemed to be muttering something to himself. Stamping his paw on the ground, Lemon alerted Jackal that he was there. "Get up. We're going hunting," he growled, though didn't expect his words to come out that angrily.

Jackal's muttering craze stopped immediately when Lemon announced himself and he sprung to his paws, eyes darting out to try and find an escape. When he realized there wasn't one, his shoulders sank and he nodded pitifully. "Okay. You don't have to be so mean about it though," he murmured, raising his head and darting off to track some prey.

"Mean?! I'm not mean! How dare he call me mean!" Lemon growled out loud, clearly not talking to Jackal but to Soothe instead. Flicking his tail, he stomped after his 'friend', snarling curses under his breath. He didn't expect Soother to respond, in fact he hoped she didn't. But that's probably why she did.

Well, if it helps you feel better, you are acting like a total jerk right now. Therefore, your friend is right. You were also being mean about it, but that's really just my anger influencing you. Soothe seemed to only exist to annoy him, and he knew he would try and snap her bones if the stupid spirit had any. Oh look who's getting all grumpy and overdramatic! Relax! Geez.

Lemon stopped listening to her at that point, but he was aware of her rambling in the background of his thoughts. Turning his stomping into a sprint, he almost managed to catch up to Jackal, who was possibly running at top speed, though probably not. "Wait up!" He snapped, showing his teeth once Jackal looked back. At the sight of Lemon's teeth, the speedy dog skidded to a stop, panting.

"Sorry..." Jackal apologized, pulling his ears back and lowering his ears as a sign of submission. Was he scared? Yes, he was. But scared of Lemon? What an unprecedented feeling, right?