Chapter 16: The Fall

Yuki stared out of car the window, seeing nothing, not really.

Somehow he just knew. He just knew this was the end.

He was just a little pebble, tossed back and forth by the vicious sea. And this was the final toss. The wave that would shatter him into a million pieces.

He knew this. And it was difficult to know, to go willingly, calmly. He should be struggling, fighting, kicking and screaming. But he did not. He could not.

He thought of his friends. He inhaled deeply.

In the darkness beside him Akito reached out and began stroking his cheek, the cold hand tiptoeing down his neck. Yuki didn't move, didn't react.

He was so close to the edge now. So close to breaking.

Yuki didn't fully register leaving the car or entering Akito's quarters. Suddenly they were just there, in Akito's bedroom. Akito closed the door firmly behind them. He walked stealthily to the bed and sat gently.

Vaguely, through the dark fog filling his mind, Yuki noted the difference in Akito. His hair was lank and thin. His cheeks were hollows. Everything about him seemed sharp; sharp jaw, sharp elbows, sharp collar bone... sharp eyes as he stared at Yuki.

Akito watched him for some time, eyes drinking in every ounce of him. Yuki didn't move, merely stood by the door.

He noticed small things; the plush carpet between his toes, the dying flowers in the vase, the texture of the velvet throw.

And when Akito smiled, a soft, gentle smile, a smile the rest of the world didn't get to see, Yuki knew it was the end.

"Come," Akito murmured, outstretching a twig-like arm. His fingers danced suggestively.

Yuki didn't move. It was just too cruel. It was just too difficult.

"Yuki?" Akito raised an eyebrow gently, still smiling.

Yuki found he was shaking his head, as though he could somehow change his reality by denying it.

Akito smiled knowingly, as though he understood exactly what Yuki was thinking.

And truthfully, he probably did.

Both understood the situation. Both knew each other so well after their shared life of darkness.

So when Akito said, "Yuki. Come", Yuki knew begging was hopeless, helpless. It had never worked with Akito, and it never would. His God despised weakness. Yet still, despite knowing this as plainly as he knew night from day, Yuki had to try.

"Master please." His voice still held a trace of that cool indifference he had adopted at Shigure's house. As Akito's smile widened devilishly however, it shrivelled and died. "Please don't do this." His voice hitched at the end.

Akito shook his head. He rose and walked slowly to him. He took his hand gently, and led the unresisting Yuki to the bed.

Yuki could do nothing. He followed Akito submissively, until they were sitting on the bed together.

Akito stoked Yuki's forearms.

"You are eighteen today Yuki. You're a man now, hmm?" Yuki couldn't respond. He thought maybe he was still shaking his head.

"You know," Akito's mouth twisted, "when so many of my zodiac members were at Shigure's house- for you- I was... very angry Yuki. You really cannot imagine the anger I felt."

Yuki felt the fear rising up in his chest, his throat.

"You are mine Yuki. My little rat." He paused to stroke Yuki's leg. "But... it's ok... after tonight I'm never giving you back. You will truly be mine."