1

TW: d3@th, mentions of d3@th, violence, bl00d, g0re, throwing up

The nights are always longer.

I could tell the sun was beginning to set when mom woke me up. She had let me sleep the day away while she and my dad farmed our small plot of land.

They hadn't slept in nearly three days.

I stood from my small bed and walked over to my chest that was filled with my leather armor. It wasn't the best armour out there. In fact, it was pretty shitty. But I wasn't going to tell my parents that. They'd established a long time ago that we'd never go mining.

Why go looking for trouble?

That was their motto. In the caves below earth's surface, thousands of resources could be mined. If you were willing to face the monsters that dwelled down there. Sunlight could burn most monsters up. The Zombies and Skeletons are the most common ones. They burn in sunlight. But then there's the Creepers, who automatically blow up if you step too close. There's the Endermen, who will attack you if you look at them. Then there are the Spiders. They don't attack during the day, but they're ruthless at night. Those are the most common. But below the surface, in the caves, the monsters are more dangerous.

We don't go down there.

"Josie?" Dad walked into my room as I began to strap on my chest plate. I looked up at him. "Mom made you some mushroom soup."

"I'll be there in a second." I told him as I started to strap on my leather leggings. I'd strap on my helmet and boots once the sun had fully gone down.

After that, I grabbed my stone axe and headed into the kitchen. Mom placed a bowl of soup on the table for me as dad started locking up the doors.

The sun had fully set by the time I finished. Dad had finished blocking the doors. We sat in darkness, not speaking. Mom kept tying and untying her straps nervously.

I could hear the distant rattle of a Skeleton. The scuttle of a spider.

Nearly an hour later, I heard the loud gurgle of a Zombie. Than another. Something pounded on the door. I flinched.

The pounding shook the house as it kept hitting the door. Something hit the window.

It took me a minute to realise that there wasn't just one Zombie. And it wasn't until the door was broken down to realise how many there truly were.

We were on our feet in seconds as the Zombies streamed into the main room of our cottage. My mom whimpered as she swung her axe at the Zombie that jumped at her.

"Josie, move!" Dad cried out. I whipped around and swung my axe, burying the blade in the neck of a Zombie who's green skin was decaying.

Black blood sprayed from the wound as I ripped the axe out. The Zombie crumpled to the floor. My heart was pounding in my chest. Blood was rushing in my ears. I turned to see mom backed against a wall as three Zombies kept jumping at her.

I swung my axe again, hitting between the shoulder blade and the neck of one of the Zombies.

But I didn't move fast enough to pull the blade out and attack another. Mom cried out as a Zombie jumped at her, burying it's jaws in the side of her neck. She froze as red blood spilled around the Zombie's mouth, down her neck. The Zombie bit harder and pulled away.

I screamed as Mom collapsed to the floor, a large chunk of her neck missing. She wasn't moving or breathing. Her eyes had gone still.

"No!" I cried, singing my axe for the Zombie who had killed her. It had muscle tissue and flesh dripping from it's jaws as it stared at me blankly. I swung my axe at the zombie that had just changed my entire world.

"Run, Josie!" Dad yelled. I turned to look at him over my shoulder. He was battling his own hoard.

My heart dropped.

"No, no, no!" I cried, running to help him. A Zombie jumped on me from the side, causing me to crash to the ground as I cried out. It's sharp nails tore into my shoulder as I brought my fist back to punch it squarely in the face, shocking it. I grabbed my axe and swung for its neck as it grapeled for me again.

I grunted as my axe swung cleanly through its neck, severing it's head. It rolled to the side and I pushed the body off me as black blood spilled from the gaping wound.

"Josie!" Dad cried as I moved to my feet. He had been backed into a corner! "Josie, run!"

"But, Dad-"

"I said to run!" I had never heard dad sound so scared. I'd never heard him sound so desperate. So I listened.

I turned and I ran.

---

I'd never been outside at night before.

My thoughts weren't on that fact, however. I was too busy dodging Creepers, killing any Spider that came too close. I had to climb into a tree at one point to escape a Skeleton.

By the time the sun started to peak over the horizon, I was exhausted. I'd kept running. Away from my home. Away from my parents.

I had almost turned around when I reached the edge of our yard, where grass met forest. I'd almost turned around to run back and help dad. But a sharp yell and sounded through the air and a loud thump and I knew that if I went back, all I would find would be Zombies. Zombies eating my parents.

I collapsed into the dirt as the sun burned through the trees. I could see a few stray Zombies and Skeletons around me, ones that hadn't seen me while I'd been running past them. They caught fire in the sunlight and burnt to ashes in a matter of seconds.

I looked down at myself. The wound at my shoulder had stopped bleeding a while ago, but I was still covered in my own blood. Also the blood of the Zombie who had died on top of me.

I was a mess. I felt a tear escape down my cheek and a quiet sob wrenched through my body.

In just one night, my entire world had ended.

But it had also just begun.

At that thought, I threw up, hurling what was left in my stomach into the dirt.

. . .

Summary: 

Josie wakes up just in time for the sun to go down. She puts on her leather armor and then joins her parents in the kitchen to prepare for the night. Soon, darkness falls and the family is left to sit there, hoping that nothing happens. A horde of zombies ends of breaking down the door. Josie fights as best she can and ends up fleeing after the d3@ths of her parents.

A/N:

Hey :)

So, new story! I'm really excited about this one. Let me know what you think! Also, it'd be pretty cool if you left a vote ;) 

This is a bit shorter than the length that my usual chapters will be, fyi.

I love you all, babes!