Chapter 2: Changes

Queens, New York
Summer
(July 17th 1992)

"Ugh...shit." I groaned as I rose up in my bed and stretched my arms.

I remember waking up with this horrible feeling. That's when I remembered what day it was. The 12th anniversary of my father's murder. I rubbed my face before looking out my bedroom window. It was sunny outside. At least it was nice outside.

I got up out of bed and walked out of my room into the bathroom and took a shower. After that I got out and washed my face and brushed my teeth. Once I was done, I went back into my room and got dressed before I headed downstairs.

"Grandma?" I called out as I walked down the steps.

"Yes baby?" I heard her say in another room.

I walked through the living room towards the kitchen where the smell of Bacon, Sausages, and Eggs filled my nose. I loved when my grandmother cooked breakfast in the morning. She always made sure I ate something before I ever left her house.

As I walked into the kitchen, my grandmother sensed me walk in and turned around. She smiled as she walked over to me and gave me a hug.

"Good morning baby. I just made a quick breakfast since I'm about to head out to work in a few minutes. You hungry?" She asked as we both pulled away.

"Yeah. I'll eat a little bit before I go see dad." I explained.

"Mm...Today's the day huh?" She asked as I heard her voice crack.

After all these years, she never really accepted what happened. A couple of years after my father passed, my grandfather died in prison from a broken heart. When he found out my father was murdered, it fucked him up pretty bad. He never was the same afterwards.

So my grandmother was going through a lot already on top of what happened with my dad. A majority of the people my father and mother knew left my grandmother behind. Very important people who "loved" my grandfather and Dad, never really came around anymore. I think they were scared of dying just like he did. So they stayed away.

I hadn't seen my uncle either for a long time after my father died. It was like he just up and disappeared. I didn't understand why. But I never asked any questions. I always thought that he was killed as well and no one knew about it.

It was like all of the kingpins from the 80s faded into obscurity once it hit 1990 except for Nico. Especially since almost everyone had died or went to jail by then. It was new niggas in the game now.

"Me and Nasir are gonna go by the Market around the corner so I can buy some flowers for his grave. Did you want me to get anything on the way?" I asked my grandmother.

"No sweetie. I went shopping yesterday, so we should be fine." She assured me.

"Aight." I replied as I walked over to the stove to make my plate.

That's when my grandmother spoke again.

"Anthony?" She said.

"Yeah grandma?" I asked turning around.

"I think you should call your mother today. Check up on her and see how she's doing." She said as I felt this rush of anger fill my entire body.