Chapter 15 Awakening

Inside the submarine, Erik and Evie carefully made their way deeper inside, looking around warily for Shaw. Charles was mostly silent as he too watched carefully through their eyes as the pair made their way into the control room.

Evie's eyes landed on one of the many consoles and she walked over to it carefully, reading the one coloured dial on the screen.

"That's the nuclear reactor." Charles's voice supplied in her mind as he saw what she was seeing. "Disable it."

Evie glanced over to Erik, who had also heard Charles's voice. He came over and, using his powers, moved the stiff lever on the power source. They could feel the faint hum inside the submarine disappear as Erik pulled the handle all the way down, and Erik ensured it would stay down as he ripped the metal handle apart for good measure.

*********

Aboard the American flagship, Alex and Lisa raised their hands in the air as the soldiers continued to press in around them.

"Lisa, get out of here." Alex hissed out of the corner of his mouth, but she hissed back, "And leave you here?"

"Hey! Stop talking!" One of the soldiers barked at them, and Alex grit his teeth.

A fluttering noise had both Alex and Lisa looking up sharply, and their eyes narrowed as they saw Angel flying toward them.

"Get down!" Alex yelled in warning, and Lisa threw herself at a nearby soldier, pushing him out of the way just as Angel began to fire her acid spitballs down at them. Alex leapt away as well, but he wasn't as fast as he ushered some of the soldiers out of harm's way first. One of the acid balls hit his suit, and Alex quickly ripped the metal gadget Hank had designed for him off his suit as it began to hiss and melt under the acid.

"Look out!" Lisa shrieked as Angel came back, and she darted through the shadows to come up in front of Alex protectively.

"Lisa!" Alex shouted in alarm, reaching to grab her and push her out of the way just as Angel came at them.

But a loud screech suddenly blasted into the air, threatening to tear their eardrums, as Sean flew up out of the sea and he attacked Angel with his sonic waves. Angel was sent flying back from the force of the sonic waves before she righted herself and with an angry scowl she flew off after Sean.

"Banshee!" Alex gasped when Lisa grabbed his arm.

"Come on!" She called and together the pair ran across the deck.

*********

Inside the submarine.

Erik and Evie carefully made their way through an open doorway into what looked like a private lounge.

"Erik, Evie, you two are there." Charles's voice echoed in their minds. "You've reached the void."

Evie's brows furrowed as she looked about the small lounge where there was no-one else but them in sight. Erik was more focal in his confusion and his frustration showed as he snarled, "He's not here, Charles. Shaw's not here! He's left the sub!"

"Erik, keep it down." Evie advised worriedly as she too looked around, searching for any sign of Shaw but there wasn't much space and it didn't seem like there was anywhere for Shaw to hide.

"What?" Charles's voice was just as puzzled as he spoke in their minds. "He's got to be there, he has to be! There's nowhere else he can be. Keep looking."

"There's nowhere to look, Charles." Evie answered anxiously as she looked about the lounge. "It's a dead-end and he's-"

"Not here!" Erik exploded furiously. "He's not here, there's no one here, God damn it!"