Chapter 11: Cornered

"Guys, sorry to break this up, but we gotta go."

At Thomas's words, the two quickly followed him as he ran onward; but not before Newt grasped Rachel's hand tightly in his own.

"I'm sorry." He murmured.

"Don't be. Just don't push me away again." Rachel answered as they ran.

The trio turned another corner, only to skid to a halt as they found themselves right in the path of a guard.

"You three, freeze!" He shouted as he aimed at Thomas, who was by now unarmed as he'd run out of bullets. Newt and Rachel stopped too, and the soldier shouted at them, "Get down on the ground. Now!"

The trio didn't move, all three of their minds working frantically to look for a way out of their predicament, and the soldier yelled at them, "I said get your-"

Rachel flinched in shock as a black and flesh coloured blur suddenly came flying around the corner and rammed into the soldier, shoving him hard into the wall. The trio all stared in shock as Minho roared with fury or aggression or a mix of both while the soldier screamed in terror as Minho grabbed him by the lapels and smashed him right through one the lab windows.

Rachel's jaw dropped while Minho let out another roar, his fists clenched and his shoulders heaving with adrenaline. The man didn't move and Minho turned to face them, still panting heavily but his expression slackened as his eyes focused on the trio and recognized them.

The trio were just as stunned, but as the realization hit them that Minho was actually there they unfroze.

"Minho!"

Thomas and Newt launched at their friend, hugging him tightly while Minho seemed somewhat dazed.

"Is this real?" He gasped as he pulled back to stare at his friends in disbelief and a tiny bit of hope.

The other boys grinned while Rachel smiled as she came up beside Newt, who hugged her to him. Minho zoomed in on the action and a slow smile started to creep up on his face as he realized WCKD wouldn't make him hallucinate something like that; but their moment of respite and relief was cut short as dark figures rounded the corner behind them again.

"I got them! I got them!" The guard yelled as he aimed at the trio and Thomas yelled, "Go! Go!"

The four scrambled to escape but the moment they turned a corner, they found their way blocked as Janson appeared at the other end of the hallway with a couple of guards.

"In here, in here!" Thomas yelled as he raced to a metal door nearby and the group scrambled after him as Janson and his men started firing at them.

"Newt!" Rachel yelled as she pulled him inside behind her, just barely avoiding a bullet that bounced off the metal frame where Newt's head had been seconds earlier.

As soon as Newt was inside, Thomas slammed the door and locked it.

"Newt, Minho, help me!" Rachel called as she pushed at a metal bookcase that was being used to hold some medical equipment.

The boys hurried to help her and together they sent the case crashing down so that it blocked the doorway. Now that they had bought some time, they all looked around the room wildly but they found nothing that might help them. Unless they wanted to set fire to the huge gas tanks that sat in a corner of the room and blow themselves up along with Janson.

"Sh*t." Thomas muttered as they all reached the same conclusion: they were trapped. As if to prove that thought, the door frame suddenly sparked as Janson's men started to cut the lock.