Chapter II

I stood there looking into the entrance.
It wouldn't hurt to take a peek, would it? I set my skateboard outside on the broken bench.
Surely ghosts aren't real...

I stepped inside and my eyes went wide. I expected dirt everywhere, pieces of rocks falling, branches in the way. But it was clean. There were vines wrapping around pillars, a small pond in the middle of the room, with plants and flowers in it. There was nature everywhere, but it was all so neat, it didn't look overgrown. It looked like heaven on earth.

I turned to the side and saw a statue. I walked up to it in wonder and curiosity. It looked so smooth, it looked like a Greek god. I reached up and touched the statue's cheek with my hand. It felt warm, not cold... odd. I caressed my thumb on its cheek in complete awe. Whoever this statue is of, he was definitely beautiful.

"His name is Atticus." A female voice called out from behind me.

I flinched and pulled back my hand. Was someone here besides me? A ghost?...

"It's okay, you can turn around." She said again

I slowly turned around expecting white smoke, and a scary face. I was wrong, she looked normal. Not really normal, but... human? No that's not the right word either.

She appeared as a human, but her looks... she looked beautiful, otherworldly. She had the darkest brown skin I have ever seen, black curly hair, and white-grey eyes. I knew there was not even a chance she was a human.

"It's been a long time since anyone has ever dared to step into this place... I'm Ariah. As you may have guessed, no, I'm not human."

I stared at her completely at a loss for words.

"A-are you a goddess?" I asked, not even thinking before it came out of my mouth.

She laughed, "No, I am not a goddess. I'm flattered, though. I'm a ghost."

"You don't look like a ghost..." I said

"The mortal stereotypes for ghosts are disappointing." She said and smiled at me.

"How are they different? Aside from looks." I questioned.

She seemed happy to explain. "Well, when a ghost gets stuck on earth, it means they are chosen to watch over places, or people, or because they didn't complete their purpose while they were alive and it is a punishment. Most ghosts have specific things that they control or have powers. Though it's only the chosen ghosts that do."

"Do you have powers?" I asked

"I do. I control wind, water, and ice."

"Three? You must be really special then." I giggled

"I am no more special than any other chosen ghost, it is what was gifted to me, so I can properly watch over my lands." She said.

"So this place is what you are supposed to watch over? That's amazing!" I smiled

"It's not just me, human. There are others. We are supposed to work together to protect our lands."

"Who else is here?"
I thought it would just be her... there are more ghosts?

"Well, you seemed to already have met Atticus." She pointed towards the statue

"H-he's alive?..."