Chapter 11

My heart feels so heavy right now

My heart feels so heavy right now. And I'm aware that these intense feelings will remain inside of me from now on.

Even though I really want to stay with them, our circumstances have led me to a realization: We let fate decide what will happen to us and move forward without considering the future. I know that it's irritating, but there's nothing we can do about the situations in life; we clearly have no control.

Occasionally, fate will lead us to believe that we are doing the right thing and walking the correct route, but after exerting all of our remaining energy and strength, we will discover that everything is leading us down a more perilous path.

Similar to what I'm going through. I succeed in escaping from prison and meet people who will assist me in proving my innocence. The details might not be complete, but I am aware that if I hadn't been able to meet them, I wouldn't have learned about these things. It helped me in some way, but it also made me feel horrible. Because people who ought to be eliminated from this game were now pulled along with me as a result of what I did.

So I made a bold decision today. Right now, Carter's life is the most important thing to me, and I don't know if my plan will help me or hurt me. However, even though I revisited this scenario, I most likely ended up making the same decision.

"Jam, hindi ba masyadong lantad 'tong dinadanan natin? There could be police roaming around here," Barry remarked. I chose not to respond to her after swallowing the lump in my throat. I accelerate even farther while keeping my eyes on the road.

Ara was sitting quietly on my left. I was positive that she was aware of what was happening at the moment. Although I know she understands why I have to do this, she may not like it. While Pow was occupied looking at his tablet and fulfilling my earlier request, Barry and Miggy were at the backseat helping Carter, who was now completely unconscious.

We could see a police car pursuing us after a minute. I can hear Barry asking me to drive faster as everyone is running around in a panic. Pow was frantically using his fingertips to finish the work at the back, attempting to divert our attention from the police cars that are now pursuing us.

"Tell me once you're done, Pow," I said.

He nodded while shouting yes at me, so I continued driving.

"What the hell, Jam drives faster! "Barry exclaimed.

I saw Carter open his eyes and glance at me in the rearview mirror. His face is an overview of confusion, but he lacks the will to even speak.

I clenched my teeth and pressed the accelerator pedal. Sinuot ko ang mga puwang ng mga sasakyan sa aming harapan dahilan upang makarinig ako ng sunod-sunod na pag busina.

Maya-maya lang ay uma-aligid na ang mga helicopter sa himpapawid at sinusundan ang aming sasakyan. Barry pulled her hair in frustration.

"Why the hell do you use this road, Jam? Sinasabi ko na nga bang delikado ito, eh!" she exclaimed.

I stay silent and concentrate on driving, but I can feel Carter's eyes on me. Observing him through the rearview mirror, I noticed that he was gently shaking his head.

I bit my lip.

He knew what I was doing.

But I look away from him. I'm sure he would object to this. However, I will be much more sorry if I put him in danger.

"Completed!" Pow yelled. Hearing his words is my signal which made my heart sink. I closed my eyes tightly. There were now several police cars parked in front of us when I opened it.

We are surrounded.

When I stopped the truck in the middle of the road, I even saw the police officers pulling over and aiming their weapons in our direction.

"Bullsh*t!" Miggy cried out.

Ara broke down in tears. Her hands find mine, squeezing them firmly. Tears started to fall, and I bit my lips even harder.

"Jam, the data has already been moved to the micro flash drive I gave you," Pow said.

I wipe my eyes and give them a look.

Kunot-nuong nakatitig sa akin ngayon si Barry at walang imik na tumitiim ang bagang. Miggy gave me a weak look as well and nodded at me slowly. Si Ara naman ay lalo pang humagulhol sa tabi ko at malakas na hinampas and dashboard ng sasakyan.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"Jam," Carter uttered, even in his difficulty breathing. When I see a tear rolling out of his eyes, I can't help but feel heartbroken.

"Thank you for supporting me and giving me the willpower to fight for the life I know I deserve," I said.

"Jam, what's going on? "Barry asked. Mamumuo narin ang luha nito sa mata.

"I'm sorry, Barry, but plan A didn't work out. We need to come up with a new one."

"You know that we can always come up with another plan together, Jam," Miggy remarked.

"I understand, but working together at this moment isn't appropriate. I'm glad I took my first step because of all of you, and now I should go forward without assistance. I'm not giving up, but I must do the rest on my own."

"Pero-"

"I'm sorry," I added.

As the police began to warn us, I was certain that a hitman was now on the lookout for us and would not hesitate to kill. I inhale deeply, then glance back at them and smile a little.

Dumukwang ako upang abutin ang kamay ni Carter at ilapat iyon sa aking pisngi. I gave him a quick kiss on the palm while he was softly caressing my cheek.

"Live, Carter, I'm begging you," I murmured, unable to stop crying in his palm as I softly squeezed it in an attempt to draw strength from his hold.

I inhaled deeply.

I released his hand and opened the truck door, raising both of my arms into the air.

Loud noises were reverberated from the surroundings, yet all that happened was that I became deaf and couldn't understand a word they were saying.

All I know is the police coming up to me, dragging me up against the truck, and handcuffing me with both hands at the back. I looked around and saw that Ara, Barry, Pow, and Miggy were all staring at me pitifully. Carter's eyes in particular, which in some way gave me strength.

I instantly pursed my lips into a little curve, mouthing, "I'm fine; I'll be fine."