Chapter seventeen

'Never argue with someone who believes in their own lies.'

How would you feel the moment you realize your whole life is nothing but just a dirty lie? Sad? Angry? Lifeless? Well, that what El was feeling like at the moment. And most of all, she felt broken, crushed and betrayed by the person she loved more than herself: Mike.

Silent tears starting streaming down her face as her heart hammered in her chest like a reminder she was still alive, only that she didn't feel alive, she felt dead on the inside. If she were able to move right now, she'd probably go jump off of the cliff and drown herself in death except she couldn't, she was frozen in a spot.

The raven-haired boy entered the room with two towels in his hands and a happy smile on his face. Nevertheless, it disappeared when he saw his love, standing there as she had just seen a ghost.

"Baby, what's wrong?" he asked, placing his palm on her shoulder. El just continued to stare into space, retreating from his touch.

"Is this a joke to you?" she spoke up, finally locking eyes with him, it was filled with anger, pain and disbelief, burning together in flames of fire. "Am I a joke to you?"

"What?" he shook his head out of confusion.

"I thought you loved me," she continued as tears continuing to down her face, painful sobs escaping her mouth.

"Of course I do" he whispered, cupping her cheek only for her to slap it away.

"Stop lying, Mike! You don't have to pretend anymore," she raises her voice making Mike flinch at her actions.

"El, what the fuck is going on?" he asked, starting to get mad himself.

El shoved her phone against his chest hard, "Don't act like you don't know what's going on,"

He grabbed the phone for her hands, playing the voice recording that Max sent her. His voice and another familiar voice started filling the air.

"Who?Elanor?"

"Sure"

It was Stacy. That's when he realised what was going on. It reminded him of two things he forgot about: The bet, and Stacy warning him about it at the supermarket. But it was too late now.

"Look I don't like her. I think she's pretty and all but she's just... not my type"

"You better not like her, she's way off your league anyways"

"Don't you think I can make it happen?"

"Make what happen?"

"Make her fall in love with me"

"Yeah, but what if..."

"What if what"

"What if you fall in love with her?"

"Love isn't a real thing Stacy. It is just a transaction"

"I won't"