ONE

Caroline was sitting under the big oak tree, thinking about what her mother had told her earlier. Looking around the great big, empty garden, a thought hit her. The garden was huge, why should it be empty? Why should it stay alone, so unappealing, just grass and the big oak tree behind the cream white fence.

Caroline thought of building something. Something fun for the people. Something she always wanted to do. Somewhere she always wanted to be, to participate.

The theatre!

She was going to build a theatre!

She started crafting and making and building and constructing. She was going to make it huge! So big it could fit everybody that wanted to come in! She was going to build it nicely and in the end, it was going to be very beautiful.

All afternoon she crafted, painted and imagined about the result.

She was going to bring actors, dancers, musicians, exotic animals... Everything.

She was going to make the greatest theatre ever existed!

All afternoon, she stayed in the garden, thinking about every detail that should be out in the theatre.

It took her a few afternoons, but in the end it paid off. It was a huge building with red and golden walls, reaching so high you couldn't see where it ended. It had many lights hanging on it, that were all kinds of different colours and shapes. It's majestic beauty was beyond reach. And Caroline was satisfied.

People entered, mesmerised by the beauty of the theatre. Inside, a play with the best actors and the people enjoying it to the fullest. There were crimson seats everywhere and higher, some verandas with special seats.

The scene was carefully constructed as to look so fascinating, almost as there actually was a real sunset behind the actors.

A great elegant chandelier hung from the white ceiling, offering light to the grand room.

And Caroline was happy. She was happy to have built such an enchanting theatre. She had especially prepared a grand finale, in which she'd perform what she loved most. Dancing. She went to the changing rooms and put on her ballerina skirt. She couldn't describe her happiness.

She quickly ran towards the back entrance of the stage and stopped for a minute, to take a deep breath before going out to the world.

She closed her eyes and a smile spread across her pale rose lips. She was ready.

Walking out on the stage, the blinding lights hit her. Everybody was waiting in silence. Caroline looked down at her legs. The music started and she took place.
The light music was clear in her ears, like a melody that made her body move on its own.

She was dancing! Her elegant moves were smooth and simple, but beautiful, like a swan dancing in its lake. Charismatic.

She was deeply lost in the beautiful melody. Her eyes were teary, even if they were closed. She finally did it!

Caroline was met with the cool summer breeze. Her eyes were still closed and her bright smile still there. The cheering and claps of the crowd made her happy. So happy she didn't want the performance to end. But it did.

"Caroline!" Her mother's voice was heard from the kitchen. Caroline opened her eyes and was met with the branches of the oak tree.

"I'm coming mum!" She answered. She grabbed the wheels of her wheelchair to turn them so it could move. The smile still printed on her face. Leaving behind the shade of the big oak tree on a summer day, alone in the quiet garden, along with Caroline's imagination, where the grand theatre was. Caroline's theatre.

~The End~

“Caroline's theatre” a mini story made by me, at 12/4/2021