Chapter 4: Glimmer Of Hope: Part 2

The cacophony of the mob surrounding Jonathan was a faint hum in the background compared to the thumping of his heartbeats. He could not help but stare at his new acquaintance. She was so pretty. Her dress was beautiful and looked nothing like anything he had seen before. It had lots of folds and floral designs and was made from a fabric he did not know of. It was shiny and smooth, unlike the rough textured attires they used to get. Her face was sweet and full of innocence. And his attention refused to let go of those eyes. But he managed to look away whenever she looked his way.

"Where do you live?" It was the first question she had asked him. She tilted her head towards him and smiled curiously.

"I live in this same landscape. But it takes quite a while. You just need to follow that path." He nodded backwards.

"Huh? Isn't it that way though?" She pointed in a different direction.

"Is that where you enter from?"

"Yes."

Jonathan paused a moment. "Oh! that means there is more than one entrance to the city. I never knew. It is so vast, and I never needed to traverse to its sides." He looked at her and smiled warmly. "So where does that path lead to?"

"To the mountains." Her smile was so spectacular, her teeth like the pearls themselves, only more perfect. "It's cool there, unlike what this place can be at times." She chuckled to herself, but then seemed to grow heavy at some thought. "But it grows unnaturally warm if we invoke their wrath, you know, the Gods."

Jonathan could empathise. "So, it's the same way there as well, huh?" He went on to speak on Elbrus' demise and how it had affected them deeply.

"That's terrible." She gasped and covered her mouth with her palm.

Some moments passed in silence and Jonathan thought it really was not a good idea to speak on sombre topics like this.

"So on what occasion do you come here?" Jonathan attempted to digress.

The girl looked up and her expressions changed to the radiance and colour they projected before. "Delivery. We come here to bring fruits, tea and other items we cultivate in the mountains, and any other requirements that they ask of us."

Jonathan was amazed. "Wonderful! It seems like we have a lot in common. I came here with my friend, Orlando to supply our crops, mostly vegetables. Do you come alone?"

"Not usually, but this time, yes. My friend Agnes has fallen ill, and I didn't feel the need to bring anyone else, so I came alone."

Name... Jonathan slapped his cheek. It took her by surprise. "How rude of me! We've been speaking like this yet I haven't introduced myself. I am Jonathan."

"I am Anabel." She shook his hand. "It is really nice to make your acquaintance." Her cheeks emitted a pinkish glow.

"Yeah, we can be good friends if we keep getting the chance to meet like this." Jonathan was really eager for more conversations of the like.

"I am certain we will cross paths again soon!" Her face loosened. "Ah, looks like we're reaching the end of our little conversation. Oh well, your friend must be waiting for you," saying that, her expressions suddenly changed into a curious look. "Speaking of which, why were you panting like that before?"

"I came here running," Jonathan said hesitantly.

"Apparently. But why?"

Jonathan looked at her, then to the side, and sighed. "You see, I wanted to learn more. In our village, we feel really helpless. We keep on serving the elements to ensure our survival. We come here to deliver the crops, and there is not much else to do other than this. We just live on with our lives, but there seems to be no meaning to it. What would we accomplish living like this?" Jonathan felt rage driving his words.