Chapter 2 - New Friends

Brown eyes led me through a long hallway and continued to speak, but I couldn’t be bothered to listen to what he was saying.  His words sounded like mumbled echoes bouncing off of the walls as we walked through the corridors.  There was so much running through my mind.  I was on a spaceship.

A freaking spaceship!

And I was leaving my planet, my family, my friends, everything I knew behind.  And for how long?  I really didn’t even know. 

What if I never get to come back?  What if I get lost in space or… or worse?  What if something really bad happens to me?

I closed my eyes and shook that last though out of my head.  Nothing was going to happen to me.  Not if I could help it.  I also had the extra reassurance of the blade that sat nestled tightly in the harness on my back.  As long as I had it, I was safe.

“So, once we get inside, Captain will speak to you and Mimi will show you to your room,” Brown eyes said when I was finally able to focus on what he was saying.

He looked back at me, I guess waiting for a response seeing as how I hadn’t said a single word since we boarded the ship.  I stared back at him, wide eyed, absolutely clueless of what to say.

He chuckled and shook his head.  I really didn’t understand why he found me so funny all of the time.

“Do you understand everything so far?” he asked me

“Um.” 

No.

“Yea,” I lied and nodded.

“All right,” he drawled out slowly as if he didn’t believe me.

We came upon a set of double doors when we reached the end of the seemingly never ending hallway.  He reached into his pocket and pulled out a card and swiped it on the mechanism that was on the wall beside the door.  He punched in a code on the number pad that was just below it and the double doors slid apart.

I entered the brightly lit room behind him.  It was much like the room that I had auditioned in on the other ship.  Nothing in it but a table with Blondie and a cute little girl with long black pigtails, who looked to be about seven or eight, standing right beside him.  I presumed she was the “Mimi” that I had heard Brown eyes mention earlier.

Brown eyes went and stood on the other side of the blonde boy so that they were all facing me.  I looked down to the floor, uncomfortable that all of the attention was on me.  Blondie advance toward me with his hand extended.

I took his hand when he was close enough and he bowed his head down to me.  I followed suit and bowed too, feeling like it was the courteous thing to do.

“Welcome aboard,” he said to me and firmly shook my hand.

“Thank you,” I squeaked out.

“It’s a pleasure to have you and I am absolutely certain that you will be a blessing upon our voyage,” he said to me.

It was kind of weird that he was being so nice to me now when just earlier he seemed like he didn’t want me to come along at all.  But I took it for what it was and smiled graciously at him.  He stepped back and spread his arms out wide.

“This is now your ship, as well as everyone else’s who is with us.  You are a part of our family now.  Everything you say, think, or do will be done within the confines of these walls.  This is your home.”

I gulped silently to myself, as I let everything he was saying sink in. 

“As captain of this ship, I vow to protect this ship and everyone inside of it, including you.  If you are ever unsatisfied or in need of anything, do not hesitate to let me or Drako know.  But I need you to make me a promise too,” he paused and clasped his hands together over his abdomen.  “Do you promise to defend our ship, everyone inside?  Do you vow to protect our family?  Our home?”