18. The Red Running River

(New and edited)
CHAPTER 18: The Red Running River

Safe to say that I ran. But in the direction most would believe, the second her fingers had spat out droplets of blood towards me, I knew not to let one land, every molecule, every plasma bond and essence in her blood was toxic poison that would sizzle and fry through my skin like liquid magma. I never thought a creature like her could be made, I couldn't kill with a sword, I couldn't meet flesh with a gun even if I had one, even if I had the bullets, they'd sink through her and out the other side. To capture such a thing is to first summon it. Mission accomplished.

Now I needed her on my side. The one thing blood can't meddle with is fire or water. I didn't have an inch of fire around me, but water, that would be sufficient. I run and dive straight into it. Run, do anything but fly, if creature against her could. I push through the water like I'm one with it and just pray that it moves with me. That the environment doesn't move to please the predator, but moves to protect the prey.

I felt droplets move, she had the stamina, the ability and probably the age to do this. I choke in horror, sinking down in the water by a mechanism that should never be possible yet it was. The poison seeping through an opening in the water that makes every image blur and in that moment, fear sang through my bones, bristling them with it. Taunting them with its presence and mockery singing against my ears and echoing it like a lyric or beat.

I felt that burning sensation grasp my tongue, tickle my eyes as the droplets of blood she wanted to slap against my skin burns or rather it boils in front of me. It sings like a canary, as does her painful, delicious scream as I push up and touch the surface like a rocket to space.

I land on my feet in front of her screaming form, her blood-filled hands against her red head, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" I stare at her screeching form. Unable to describe what I did, but right now I don't care.

"Run the red river, sing it like a hurricane, make them breathe in a tsunami. I order you to drown out and send Martin Julius far from me. That is my reward, my request and my riddle, dear Red riding hood." I say to her, I was the wolf and she was the cape of the girl so innocent in a story too original for the likes of the creature before me.

She stares at my feet, "Belittling me, hurting my blood when all I want is to touch skin. I want skin, I want bone and flesh and the ability to hold and be held. Is that too much to ask for, wolf or demon? Whatever you are?" I stare at her, moving around her.

"I am no demon."

"The lens cannot see, the ears cannot hear if I wish it." So, was she telling me the cameras and live entertainment in here was off. What lies? What fiddling, little lies, I could hear the audio dial louder, I could hear the camera lens narrow. The thing with being underwater in an adapting, unpredictable environment is that getting good images underwater was bloody impossible. Unless they had the technology to do so and if anything, we're an underdeveloped race.

Dropping with the water from the pool, I watch her move while I knew this would buy me some time and perhaps even points in staying away from Martin, whilst giving him a sense of 'survival of the fittest'.

Let's see how strong you are against the taste of blood, little doggy.

When her presence moves from the cave, I take gulps of air, almost stumbling back. I move towards the mouth of the caves grabbing onto indentations in the stone wall, climbing up and out and flinching at the sound of sudden screams that echo like lyrics in a song. Only this was no venturous melody I wanted in my mind. Leaping over logs, I run in the sheer opposite direction from the masculine roars and horror of what I saw in my mind, to what I pause in my rippling run to look at. Darkness struck the sky when I see what the creature can do. What she will do just to for,late something so unworldly.