2

Meanwhile in the Avengers section of the tower...

"Take it back!"

"No!"

Steve had Bucky in a headlock in one of the common areas as they bounced off the sofa and then the wall.
"Take it back, punk!" Steve said to Bucky. Then he grunted as Bucky punched him in the kidneys, making him lose his grip on his neck.

Bucky escaped Steve's hold and then pushed him forward, making him stumble. "You fight like an old man. More like an old lady, Rogers," Bucky said as he caught his breath.

"I'm only holding back because I don't want damage your arm and have Tony work on it again," Steve said lamely.

"Riiiight," Bucky said with a smirk.

"You lost the bet, now pay up, loser," Bucky said to Steve as he held out his hand.

"The day's not over. I still have time," Steve said.

Bucky squinted his eyes at Steve as he clenched his fist. "Don't be such a baby. Next new girl you see you have to ask her out. No teammates or acquaintances," Bucky said, restating the rules.

Steve sighed and threw his head back in mock exaggeration. "Fine. But if I end up in the tabloids it's your fault."

Bucky just shook his head and straightened out his jacket as he returned to the sofa to watch TV. A few days prior, Bucky and Steve made a bet they could get a date within a week. Bucky had no problem asking out a waitress he knew and Steve had yet to ask anyone. Even though they both made regular public appearances, it was still hard to make friends and have a life outside of being an Avenger. The team had monthly check ins with a counselor and she was encouraging them to step outside of their comfort zone to meet people. Bucky didn't have as much a problem wooing the ladies, but Steve still saw himself as the awkward skinny young man that was a third wheel to Bucky's exploits. Steve turned and picked up his shield and headed towards Tony's lab.
"What can I do ya for, Capsicle?" Tony asked as Steve sat down on a stool.
"Oh, nothing really. I, uh, just wanted to hang out," Steve said as he cleared his throat.
Tony stopped what he was working on and looked at Steve with a serious expression. "Okay Boy Scout. You're a terrible liar and I know you just don't want to 'hang out' with me," he said as he raised his hands with air quotes. "So what's really on your mind?" He asked.
Steve sighed and bowed his head before he raised it and looked at Tony. "How do you talk to ladies? I mean, how do you ask them out? How are you so comfortable with them? Bucky and I have a bet and he's already had date and- "
"Whoawhoawhoa! Let me stop you right there. There is no magic formula to asking a girl out or getting her to like you. Just be yourself. I know I do a lot of crazy shit to impress Pepper, but that's me. I have lots of money and a big ego. You're too honest and too nice. If a girl doesn't like you for that, then she's just looking for trouble."
Steve nodded his head in agreement. He could understand what Tony was saying but he didn't know how to get over his nervousness or lack of self confidence. Here he was, America's hero and he was scared of the opposite sex.
"Your'e right," Steve sighed.
"I know I am. Now help me lift this up," he said as he pointed to one of his tables. There was a bubble level on it along with some laser equipment. Steve lifted the side of the table and Tony bent down and placed a shimmy under one of the feet. "Okay, set 'er down."
Tony examined the bubble level up close and said, "See, you're good to keep around." He smiled at Steve as he patted him on his shoulder.

Just then Friday spoke to Tony. "Sir, there is a Dr. Remi Spencer requesting clearance for this floor. Shall I approve her?"
"Yes, Friday, show her in," Tony said. "You should stay for this," he said as he turned back to Steve.

Remi pushed the small library cart over the threshold of the elevator. The wheels were a bit rickety so it jostled her papers and posters she had printed up. "Come on, please be nice to me..." she muttered softly.

"Please follow the lighted pathway to Mr. Stark's lab," Friday told her as she entered the hallway.

Remi's head shot up in surprise. She knew Mr. Stark had AI technology but she had never encountered it before. She pushed her glasses back into position and then proceeded to follow the lights towards the glass doors of Tony's lab. The doors were heavy and the cart was awkward and Remi wasn't used to maneuvering a cart through the doors. It was an awkward if not comedic scene as she pulled the door with her body weight, tried to brace it with her foot, as she reached out for the handle of the cart to pass it through. Her hair was a little wild and her glasses were slipping off her nose again. Her pencil skirt she was wearing wasn't letting her  place her legs wide enough to get some leverage to push the car through. And then the wheel got stuck on something on the floor, so as she gave it an extra push, the cart began to tip over.

Steve and Tony were just finishing their conversation as they heard Dr. Spencer coming through the door. The slapstick comedic scene unfolded in slow motion as they saw her face scrunched with the effort of giving the extra push to the cart, her glasses slipping, and then her jaw dropping and eyes going wide as the cart tipped and the stack of papers and posters went tumbling onto the floor. Both Steve and Tony had surprised looks on their faces and they took a step forward to do what, they didn't know, as the papers, notebooks, and posters went sliding across the slick floor.
Dr. Spencer stepped into the lab the rest of the way but the door hit her on her bum as it closed, eliciting a squeak from her, and giving her a slight shove forward. She covered her mouth with both hands as she looked at Tony and Steve and then back to the pile of papers on the floor. Her face turned red as she couldn't believe she made such a disaster in front of Tony Stark, one of her idols, AND Captain America, aka, America's Sweetheart. 
Steve did a double take himself as he couldn't believe the mess on the floor and the beautiful woman standing in front of him. She was petite to his large frame, dark hair and eyes to his blond and blue. She wore glasses and her hair looked wild even though she was dressed in a silk blouse and pencil skirt and kitten heels. She wasn't really his type, but he didn't know what his type was really.