Chapter 27

Arm in arm with Ponyboy, my brothers and I trudged silently towards the lot, all dressed in black.

            I knew the day was going to be extremely difficult, but it was entirely necessary. Ponyboy was already in tears, and I did everything in my power to keep myself from following suit. I planned on saying some words, and I wouldn't be able to do so if I were a blubbering mess.

            Dally's leather jacket was draped around my shoulders, and each step I took towards the empty lot, I yearned for his touch more and more. My heart ached so terribly and I wished things didn't have to end the way they did, but there was no going back to the past and changing everything. I had to accept this.

            As we approached the lot, I spotted Two-Bit and Steve. They cleaned up very nicely, and quite frankly, I had never seen them so put together before. They must have really cared for Johnny and Dally.

            I immediately threw myself into Two-Bit's arms, gripping onto him tighter than I ever had. I eventually released him, placing a hand on his shoulder and giving him a tearful grin. I was so lucky to have Two-Bit in my life.

            Moving along, I glanced over to Steve, who awkwardly shifted his weight from leg to leg, unsure of what to say. Breaking any tension that was there, I slowly walked up to him and pulled him into a tight hug, resting my head on his shoulder.

            "Thank you for coming," I whispered, nuzzling my head into the crook of his neck.

            "I wouldn't have missed it," he replied, his voice beginning to waver.

            Gently pulling away, I walked back over to Ponyboy and clutched onto his shaking hand. Sodapop and Darry carried over and placed down the rocks Pony and I found and decorated, carving Johnny and Dally's name on both.

            Falling back into the line we formed, Darry and Soda stood beside us silently, signaling that it was my time to speak.

            "We stand here today in honor of two incredible young men," I began, my voice threatening to shake. "Johnny Cade... and Dallas Winston. Johnny wouldn't hurt a fly. I truly believe that he was stronger than all of us. Even though life gave him so much shit, he never fought back. He simply accepted what he had and moved forward, rising above all. That's strength. He will be deeply missed by us, his true family."

            I drew in a deep breath, preparing to continue on with my speech, the hardest part of all. "Dallas Winston was truly the great love of my life. People will remember him for being tough and loving fights. But, I'll remember him for his companionship, compassion, and love. Behind that rough exterior was boy who was afraid to be vulnerable. There was something so beautiful within him that has touched my life forever. He is survived by the gang, just like Johnny, and will be missed-"

            A cry escaped from my throat, and I walked back to my spot next to Ponyboy, bowing my head in silence.

            After standing in solidarity for a little while, the gang simultaneously decided to go leave. Prior to the event, we had talked about going to the Dingo afterwards, so perhaps that's where they wanted to head over to.

             As each person split off and left, I found myself alone with the decorated rocks. Slowly, I folded Dally's jacket and placed it in front of his rock. I then knelt down and began to reflect on all of the time we spent together: from the first time we met as young kids, to the very last intimate moment we shared.

            "I'll always love you," I whispered, kissing my hand and placing it on the rock. Hot tears streamed down my face, and I forced myself to stand, silently following the boys.

            Everyone seemed to be far up ahead, except for one: Steve. He silently extended his arm towards me and I took it, walking by his side.

            Breaking the silence, he said, "I don't usually talk about this sort of junk, but he'll always be with you. I want you to know that."

            I nodded, then stopping in my tracks, and resting my head on Steve's shoulder. He held onto my hand, and let me stay there for a while.

            I was so fortunate to have what was left of the gang, and in that moment, I knew that things would be okay. Maybe not perfect, but definitely okay.