【9】

-----

"Um, hello?" Hinata muttered, scooting closer to Natsu unconsciously. She placed a protective hand on his bandaged arm.

"Oh no! What happened to your arm!? Did someone do this to you!? How could they! When I find them, I'll give them a piece of my- Ow!" Bokuto gripped the back of his head, pouting at Akaashi. "I'm sorry for him. He can get a little crazy. My name is Akaashi Keiji. It's nice to meet you."

The black-haired male held his hand out for a handshake, though he couldn't help but admire Hinata's dazzling looks. "I guess you already know my name, but I'm Hinata Shouyou, and this is my little sister Natsu."

Natsu only glared at their locked hands, making Hinata chuckle and pull away from Akaashi's much larger hand. "Sorry, she gets like this when she's hungry."

"Can we eat with you, please!?" Bokuto shouted once more, though a bit quieter than last time, which everyone was thankful for. After a questioning glance at Natsu, the ginger turned back to them and smiled widely.

"I don't see why not!"

After thanking him, the two newcomers sat down and began chatting animatedly with Hinata, who included Natsu into most of the conversations without thought.

"Bokuto-San has been talking about you nonstop every practice. I even caught him praying in the locker-" Bokuto quickly slapped a hand over Akaashi's mouth, his face a fiery red. "Y-You don't have to tell-tell him about that!"

Both Hinata and his little sister laughed at the odd scene before them. "Is that so, Bokuto-Senpai? What'd you pray about?" Almost playfully, the ginger folded his hand beneath his chin, propping his face on them.

"I thought God took you away and that I'd never get to see you again!" Crocodile tears poured from the pepper-haired male's eyes as he grabbed Hinata's hand and rested his face on it. "And my mom yelled at me for trying to keep you on earth! Why's the world so cruel?!"

Akaashi was about to hit his friend again, but stopped once he caught the softened face of Hinata. Leaning over the table, the ginger wrapped his arms around Bokuto, rubbing his back soothingly.

"Onii-Chan, he's pretending! Not everyone cries for real!" Natsu huffed at Bokuto's arms wrapping around Hinata, turning to the slightly jealous Akaashi.

"Onii-Chan's a softy, especially when people are crying! He's such a handful!" She complained, pulling Hinata's shirt in an attempt to get him back in his seat. The black-haired male chuckled at her seriousness.

"Bokuto-San, please let him go. The waiter's here." At that moment, the waiter came to their table with their orders. Both of the ginger's ordered the same things: A shake with miso soup, though their shake flavors were different.

"Would you like to order something?" The waiter asked the newcomers to the table, scowling at them for getting to be with Hinata. "Yeah, I'll have whatever Hinata has!" Bokuto exclaimed, pointing to Hinata's bowl.

"Very well. What about you, sir?" Akaashi looked over the menu, eventually settling for some sushi since he had already eaten an hour ago.

"Ah, Natsu, slow down. You got it all over your face." Sighing, Hinata took a napkin and wiped away the food from her mouth. "Don't eat too fast, or you'll get a tummy ache," he reminded, kissing her head softly.

She giggled and kicked her feet under the table. "Sorry, Onii-Chan!" Once he was for sure that Natsu had slowed down her eating, Hinata picked up his spoon and took a bit from his, smiling at the delicious flavor.

To Bokuto and Akaashi, it was as if time was slowed. They watched with gleaming eyes as the ginger's chubby lips slowly closed around the silverware, gliding off it steadily and leaving it empty.

"Hmm? What's the matter? Why do you guys look like... that?" Placing his spoon into the bowl, he carefully picked up his shake, bringing the tip of the straw into his mouth and sucking on it.

Bokuto passed out, blood trickling from his nose. Akaashi politely excused himself. "Weird..." The ginger siblings said together, continuing their meal without a second thought.

-----

"So, what happened to your arm, Shouyou?" Bokuto questioned, messily filling his mouth with soup. "I got a tattoo about an hour ago, so it's really sensitive. The lady said it would take a few days until the pain went away, so I have to take pain meds until then."

"You're parents allowed you to get a tattoo?! They must be awesome! I bet they'd approve our marriage!" Bokuto laughed and smiled, failing to notice the grim look on the ginger's face. Natsu stood on her seat and hit the horned owl as hard as she could on the head.

"Wha-" Compliments of Natsu, he was finally able to see Hinata's crestfallen face. "Please don't talk about them again." Was all the ginger could get out, coughing into his hand a bit and turning to his little sister with a smile.

"Why don't you try my shake, Natsu? It's cherry-flavored!"

Watching Hinata act as if nothing had happened startled them, and they told themselves to never ask anything about his parents, or even mention them for that matter.

The last thing they wanted was to see Hinata so saddened.

-----

Hinata had figured out that both Bokuto and Akaashi played volleyball, which struck his fancy, considering how much a volleyball fanatic he was. They also went to Fukurodani, which was also something interesting to him since they were in a neighboring prefecture.

That meant they might meet up again on the court. Despite much arguing (mostly from Akaashi, surprisingly) Hinata paid for everyone's food. The reason why, however, was unknown to them.

"It's getting pretty late. We should head home before it gets too dark to trek up the mountain," Hinata told his little sister, who smiled at him sleepily. "Let's watch Oki-Chan's Adventures when we get... there..."

Sighing playfully, Hinata picked Natsu up and placed her on his back, securing her by her thighs.

No one saw him wince in pain.

-----

By the time they arrived home, the sun had set, leaving a white speckled black sky in its wake. Hinata was absolutely exhausted.

These past few months he's had to get up at 3 in the morning because Natsu had to eat breakfast or else she could nap properly when they got to the daycare.

After that, he'd skate for nearly an hour into town to get to the daycare center with Natsu on his shoulder and leave her with the teacher. Practice started at six now, so Hinata then has to skate another half hour or so to get there on time.

Once school was out, he'd have to go to the daycare and get Natsu, then bring her to the gym or drop her off at Mrs. Yamara's cafe, the latter being the most common.

He was always late for afternoon practice, but their new coach, Coach Ukai, forgave it, seeing as he seemed to have a busy life.

Just as the sun started setting, he'd carry Natsu home after picking her up once more and skate the whole hour and a half back home, only to have to make dinner and get his homework done.

He couldn't even remember the last time he's slept in his bed because he'd always fall asleep at his desk.

So, yes. Hinata Shouyou was exhausted. Completely, absolutely exhausted. But that wasn't his concern. It never once was. Natsu was the only light in his life, and he'd do anything to keep it from extinguishing.

Smiling to himself, he placed Natsu in her bed covered her with her blanket, singing her a soft lullaby, as he always did, to help her fall back asleep.

-----