chapter one

"I dare you to kiss her." The moment I heard those words come out of TJ's mouth my heart began to pound. I had never kissed a boy before.

I began to overwhelm myself with questions. Do I turn my head one way? Do I shut my eyes? What do I do with my hands? Before I could come up with answers, my panic quickly subsided.

"Ew no, I would never kiss her!" Johnny said. The room erupted full of laughter. My heart sank and I felt tears start to make their way to my eyes.

"I'll kiss her." Luke said from beside me. I turned and looked at him. Luke Evans. My best friend and now life saver. He smiled at me with his big toothy grin before leaning towards me. I shut my eyes as he lightly pressed our lips together. In that moment everything changed. Instead of seeing Luke as the brother I never had, I saw him as the boy I wanted to date. Kiss. Fall in love with. Although it was a game of truth or dare, and multiple others were watching, the moment was perfect. When we kissed sparks flew. The world stopped. I felt shivers run down my spine. From that moment on my relationship with Luke, my best friend and next door neighbor (yes I realize how cliche this is) had changed forever.

I ignored the faces the rest of the girls in the room gave me and the noises the boys made, all I knew was that I wanted to kiss Luke again...

But I didn't. 5 years later. It was the fall of our junior year of high-school and I had never told him how I felt. Yes I was hopelessly in love with him. Yes everyone knew it but him. And no it was never going to happen. I never told him how I felt because I know he doesn't feel the same way. My proof is the fact that he never made a move. Flashback 5 years. After our kiss, Luke acted the same way towards me, and me being an insecure, nervous sixth grader who didn't want to loose the only boy who was nice to her kept quiet. I didn't want to risk telling my best friend my feelings because I didn't want to push him away. 

And sadly, my feelings only grew for him overtime. The April of my sixth grade year my mother died of cancer. I knew that she had been sick, pretty much my whole life, but a part of me never believed that there would be an end. I couldn't really comprehend the idea of a death or loss because I had never experienced one. Although my dad and my teachers were very nice and tried to be there for me, the only person that seemed to be able to make me smile was Luke. 

He used to come over everyday after school with my homework and would always bring me a snack that he made in my kitchen. He stayed with me for hours, helping me do my homework, and telling me anything he possibly could that could cheer me up. I looked forward to seeing him everyday even though it felt impossible that happiness could even be a possibility in my current state. 

After a while, it got better, but Luke never stopped coming over. We did our homework together everyday and pretty much spent every weekend together whether we hung out in groups or on our own. But this all changed the summer before freshman year when Luke went off to some football camp. When he came back, he looked different. Don't get me wrong, he was always a good looking kid, but when he came back that summer, he was taller, tanner, and suddenly had abs. Puberty seemed to hit him like a truck. Although this may seem like a good thing, it was quite the opposite. I wasn't the only one who noticed Luke's glow-up. 

When we started high school, every girl seemed to think he was hot. People had shared my belief before, but this time, it was different. There were alot more fish in the sea now that we were freshman and they all were big boobed blondes. And sadly, Luke reciprocated their attention and admiration. I mean who could blame him? It's not like I ever told him how I felt. 

So anyway, that leads me to present day, Luke and I were still best friends, I was still in love with him, and Luke still had no clue. Don't get me wrong though, I have not spent my life pining after him for years. I have indulged myself in the pool of high school, but unfortunately nobody seemed to compare to my best friend and therefore I was a very single virgin.