Chapter 36: A gift

Killian's POV

I opened the passenger door of my new Audi and slid my arms under Loren who was wiped out from our day of shopping. George retrieved the numerous shopping bags from the back seat and we made our way to the elevator. 

After laying Loren down on the couch, I started the fire place and made my way into the kitchen where the ingredients George had just bought were laid out. 

I quickly grabbed a cutting board and my chef's knife and started to slice the vegetables. As the onions and garlic sauteed in butter, I washed some clams. Soon enough the aroma of the variety of spices mingling with the vegetables wafted into my nose. I added the finishing touch of heavy cream into my chowder and decreased the heat, letting the soup simmer. 

I carefully carved two sourdough rolls that George had baked earlier into bowls and rubbed butter along its inside before placing them in the oven. 

In the wine room I picked out a nice chardonnay to pair with the chowder. I carefully poured the soup into the bowls and carried them into the living room where Loren was. The clouds had disappeared in time for the sun to set. I returned to the kitchen to retrieve the wine and glasses as Loren stirred in her sleep. She rubbed her eyes, clearly in the post sleep drunk.

"What time is it?" She groaned

"Eight" I responded as she sat up on the couch. I grabbed the TV remote and flipped through the channels. I handed her the remote so that she could choose what the watch as I grabbed a blanket. She settled on a new movie with Jennifer Aniston. I poured the Chardonnay into our glasses as she crossed her legs and wrapped herself in the blanket. 

I handed her the bowl of chowder and watched as she took her first bite. Her eyes widened as the flavors dissolved over her taste buds. 

"Good?" I asked and smiled

Some of her chocolate brown hair fell to her face as she eagerly nodded and took another spoonful.

"Try the bread, it's George's specialty" I suggested and she followed. A big smile grew on her face as she chewed the fluffy and buttery bread. 

"Compliments to the baker!" she gleamed.

"What about the chef??" I joked

"Eh" she shrugged her shoulders and took a sip of her wine. Her delicious lips curled upwards as she struggled to hide her beautiful smile behind the glass. 

We finished our dinner and by the middle of the movie Loren had fallen asleep, her head resting on my lap. My fingers intertwined in her hair, gently massaging her head as I watched her chest gently rise and fall. Her face displayed a peaceful and calm demeanor and I intended to keep it that way. This girl deserved nothing but a stress free life. One day we would get there. 

A short buzz in my pocket pulled my attention from her and I pulled out my phone. A text from Matteo flashed on my screen and my heart stopped as I read its contents. 

We got him.

Loren's POV

I sipped on my tea as I stared out the window as the sun slowly started to rise in the distance. It had been three days since Killian suddenly left on a business trip to London the morning after our shopping trip. I looked over at the bags I hadn't touched since he left and sighed. 

I exited the bedroom and walked down the hall, hoping not to run into anybody. Just because he left the country didn't mean that he wasn't still obsessed with keeping me safe. A guard stood at the elevator doors 24/7 and he had even asked Adam to stay here.