Part 1

Ng'ethe looked across the field and saw Mwaura sitting on a plank at the other end of the field. Mwaura's eyes were cast on a book that was in his hands. Ng'ethe walked the length of the field up to where Mwaura was sitting. "Mwaura, get up. Come and join us in the game!" Ng'ethe asked bravely. "But I am sorry, I can't." Mwaura answered with a weak voice. Mwaura was not particularly known to speak in a loud voice. Many pupils at the school had nicknamed him the timid reader. Mburu, one of the other boys on the field noticed that Ng'ethe was taking a long time to bring Mwaura to the field. He figured out that Mwaura must have proved a hard nut to crack. Mburu left the other boys and hurriedly ran to join Mwaura and Ng'ethe. "What is the problem here? Why can't you come and join us, Mwaura?" Mburu asked determined to have Mwaura join the other boys in the game. Mwaura was however adamant. "I can't join you now. I have three more chapters to finish before the sun sets." The look on Mwaura's face and his voice were firm.

Ng'ethe asked in laughter, "What is the point of this reading of yours? Our village is nameless, your father is moneyless, our school is useless, our teachers are clueless, your efforts are needless, and your reading is pointless!" Mwaura rose up and began to walk away when Mburu suddenly grabbed him by the shoulder. "Just join us in the game. Let's kick the ball harder. This is painless. Stop living a lie", Mburu said with a laughter. Mwaura looked on and went away.

Mwaura came from a humble background. His parents were not very educated but they were trying their best to raise their eight children, three boys and five girls. Mwaura was the fourth born and the second son in the family. One day, Mwaura held a long conversation with his dad. "Dad, is there anything I could do to change this situation? I have observed that you are trying your best to provide us with food, clothes and money to send us to school. I feel if there is anything I can do, I will be ready and willing to do it." Mwaura loved to help his parents with the farm work.

His father who always took time to respond took some time and Mwaura thought that his father had not understood him. As he was about to ask again, his father began, "Son, I am happy that you have noticed how hard your mother and I have been trying to provide the best for you. Life is that way, son. Sometimes you put all your energy on something but nothing much happens." Mwaura began to look sad, he thought there was nothing that he could do when his father continued, "Son, it is better to die trying than not to try at all. By trying, things change for the better although it may take time." That was all Mwaura was waiting to hear. His father had given him the master key to unlock all the blessings in life. Throughout that day, Mwaura recited those words over and over until they became permanently engraved in his mind.

Whenever Mwaura encountered anything hard in school or at home, he would repeat those words out loud, "It is better to die trying than not to try at all." Mwaura was not performing well in school although he had wanted to become an international author. From the day that Mwaura heard those precious words from his father, everything changed. Mwaura promised himself to work hard and to keep trying. His attitude changed greatly and Mwaura became more interested in his studies. He was now more focused and energetic.