Chapter 6 - Don't Let Her

The following day brought little change to the thick cloud layer, though no more rain had fallen in the night. My boots splashed through puddles of water in the dented tarmac of the street. I was on my way to the gardens, to check if anyone needed help. Maggie was still out at this supposed Hilltop safe zone with the others and there was no word on their progress. It was nerve racking and, to be honest, I was using the gardens as a distraction again... It was true, there would be no major work to be done without Maggie, but I was hoping weeding and trimming would suffice to take my mind off that knot in my stomach.

I crossed the street, giving a small nod and a smile to the passing citizens of Alexandria, one of whom was heading straight for me.

"Hey there," the woman said, coming to a stop a few feet in front of me. She was a little taller than myself with a silver pixie cut and a warm gaze. "For you" she smiled and held out a clear plastic container.

"Oh, uhm, thanks" I accepted the Tupperware dish and inspected its contents; inside were three familiar looking cookies. I smiled back at the woman; I knew who she was. Carl had spoken of her a few times and I'd sampled her baking before. I'd smiled at her and said hello once or twice when she'd come to visit him in the infirmary. She'd often have brought freshly picked flowers for his bedside that cheered me up more than they did Carl. 

"Carol, right?" I asked the lady in front of me now.

"That's me," she said, cheerfully "you're Carl's friend, aren't you?". It was a simple question with a complicated answer. I was his friend... I think I was more than that at one point, maybe... and then I wasn't anything to him. But now I may be something and perhaps one day I'll be more again? Who knows...?

"I think so" I shrugged and chuckled awkwardly.

"I remember you from the infirmary, you never left his side, did you?" her eyes were full of compassion and I knew she knew. I think everyone knew that Carl Grimes, the leader's son, had woken from his fifty-one-day long coma with a case of amnesia. I guessed those closest to him would also know about the girl he'd befriended but ended up forgetting her when he awoke. "You know, just because he's forgotten doesn't mean you can't still be friends". She gave me an encouraging smile and, oddly, it actually kind of worked.

"Thanks" I replied, hopefully. 

Carol smiled again as she began to continue down the road. "Enjoy the cookies" she said as she passed by "you should take one to Carl – I didn't bake many this time, so you'll have to share" she called back to me, shrugging innocently. 

A knowing smile crept onto my face as I waved goodbye to her.

I carried on down the street until I reached the gardens. I sat the cookies on the grass in the shade and got to work. No one else was around so I figured I'd just potter; some weeds to pull, some rogue stalks to trim. Maybe I would go and see Carl later... I was so used to waiting for him to make the next move for fear of pressuring him or being there when I wasn't wanted... but maybe I was wanted now, maybe just a little bit. Besides, Carol had given me the perfect excuse...

"They're back!" a voice yelled from the guard's platform over by the gate.

I was unsure how long I'd been idly traipsing about the vegetable patch, anxiously twiddling my fingers trying to spot the next unimportant job I could occupy myself with; when the sun was hidden behind the cloud, it was difficult to gauge the passing of time. When the voice at the gate sounded, however, I perked up like a meerkat over a sand dune. I listened intently and the hum of the RV's engine was just audible in the next street over. I downed tools, wiped my muddy fingers on my leggings and grabbed the cookies. I followed the sound, my feet carrying me hastily towards voices in the next street.