Chapter Twenty-nine: Dangerous Dreams

~Chapter Twenty-nine: Dangerous Dreams~

"You know you could always just stay with Perun, Hors, and me, right?"

It should be an innocent question, but when paired with Veles' hushed tone and furtive glances towards my uncle, who is currently speaking with Perun on the other side of the office, it is anything but. However, it is undeniably offered in good faith, and for it, I ruffle Veles' hair, much to the young god's chagrin. "I'll be fine, Veles," I assure him, and I do truly mean that.

Since our discussions have formally ended - for the night, at least - Gwyn has insisted that we return to Faerie to recover from the day and prepare to meet again in two days, though it will only be one night in Faerie due to the time difference. And while Veles would be right to worry for multiple reasons under normal circumstances, the most concerning part about going to Faerie is just the fact that there could potentially be another attack in between now and figuring out how to stop Zeus from doing to another realm what he did to the Otherworld. However, since, with the help of Hermes, we have realized that Zeus theoretically has no way of knowing where I am, he may very well still attack Faerie anyway, whether or not I am actually there.

At least, eventually. Hermes made it clear that Zeus was so exhausted after the attack that he was not even able to brag, which is apparently why Hermes had to hear the story from me.

Still, even with that concern out of the way, Veles still would have been justified in his concern that Gwyn will carry through with his threat of locking me away for the rest of forever in Faerie were it not for the fact that he is just as invested in the survival and protection of our pantheon as I am. And since the offer of aid from Perun and Veles in finding a way to stop Zeus' new attack hinges on the fact that I am present, as they cannot very well help me if I am unable to properly communicate with them, Gwyn will have to accept that I cannot stay in Faerie indefinitely. In fact, he was the one who suggested that we leave for the night and return after we have slept, which means that about two days will have passed by the time we return since we will assuredly not be awake in time to visit before it is night again of this coming day.

"You sure?" Veles whispers, apparently having forgotten at some point in the past millennium that Gwyn can almost assuredly still hear him. Maybe. Even to me, Gwyn has never been all that upfront about the extent of his hearing abilities, often pretending to hear less than he can, despite the fact I know he can probably hear more than anyone wants him to. "I could probably convince Perun to make an excuse. Just for tonight."

I shake my head. "At most, I could potentially stay here, in the heavens," I remind him. "No matter how strong he is, Perun's private realm won't be able to hide all of us effectively, and you know better than to keep everything the enemy wants in one place. If he somehow does have a way to find me, or if he finds a way to locate Perun's realm again, then he's sure to attack. It won't be lethal, not like with the Otherworld, but it will be a disaster that we best avoid."

"Nephew," Gwyn calls, and his timing is perhaps a little too perfect for me to believe that he was not listening in. Despite that, though, it is clear from Perun's thoughtful frown that Gwyn has been giving him as much, if not more, to think about...even if I am not sure what exactly they were talking about. Veles dragged me off to the corner with the excuse of exchanging goodbyes before I could find out to ask me about how my pantheon has been treating me since my return - very well, if nosy and ever-watchful - which led to the discussion of returning to Faerie.

"I'll see you in a couple days," Veles says seriously, grabbing my arm, and though it was just done to express his earnestness and the hinted promise of intent of what he will do should I not return in two days, I twist my arm in his grip until I am clasping his forearm in return.