FIFTEEN

A N T O N I O

Antonio fixed his button for the hundredth time, feeling his chest rise and fall with every unstable breath and jittering hands. His tuxedo, as dark as a starless night, was smoothed by his palms over and over again, hoping that would also make his mind go silent and leave him be his true self, and not some nervous little boy who could barely look at Mary-Kate in the way she deserved to be looked.

Clayton and Anwar were long abandoned in his apartment's living room, playing video games while occasionally bantering with each other about who should have won. But all Antonio could think about was what would happen in exactly 35 minutes, when he would be standing in front of Mary-Kate's door, waiting to see her open the door. Video games were so far gone in his mind, it wouldn't be a surprise if he forgot they exist altogether.

"Did you die in there?" Clayton called out, trying not to take his eyes off  the television.

Feet dressed in the appropriate shoes carried Antonio away from his bedroom, making both of his friends frown, staring at him from the tip of his head to the end of his shoe. As far as they knew it was supposed to be a normal afternoon, and Antonio's attire was far from normal.

"Why are you dressed like you're about to go to the Oscars?" Anwar said, smiling at Antonio's formal attire with Clayton.

Clayton chuckled and laid back on the sofa, leaving the controller on his legs as he reached to the table to put some jelly beans in his mouth, chewing them quietly. He waited with curiosity seeping out of him, waiting to see what had gotten Antonio all dressed up into a tuxedo, bowtie and all.

"I have a date." Antonio said and shrugged casually, a devious smile fighting to climb onto his lips.

Clayton now immediately put the controller aside and focused his full attention on Antonio, both body and mind. But Antonio only checked his bowtie on a small mirror he had hanging next to the door, straightening it even though it was already straight.

"A date with who?" Anwar asked with curiosity, tilting his head.

"Mary-Kate."

Clayton choked on the jelly beans he had popped in his mouth seconds before, coughing loudly as Anwar snapped out of his surprise and started hitting his back. Antonio pursed his lips and crossed his arms in front of his chest while Clayton calmed down, staring at his friend while his eyes threatened to fall out of their sockets.

"Since when?!"

"Since yesterday." Antonio beamed a proud smile as he answered, not able to keep it a secret anymore. "I didn't want to jinx it."

Clayton shot up from the couch with the smile of a glowing parent, pulling Antonio in a spontaneous hug that took him by surprise.

"Look at you, going on actual dates again. And with Mary-Kate!"

Antonio took all the praises in, concealing the nervousness he felt by them, for he knew they were coming from good hearts who wanted nothing but the best for him. But it all just made him realize how real it was, how much was at stake after this evening.

"So where are you taking her?" Anwar asked and moved for Antonio to have room to sit.

"To see that ballet she really likes. I managed to find tickets for a private booth." Antonio breathed out, smiling as he rubbed his hands together.

"Ooh, fancy." Clayton grinned.

Antonio looked at his watch and stood up from the couch, unable to wait any longer. He would be at her house sooner than expected, but if he didn't start right that moment, his head would most likely explode. He needed to be there, where she was, even if he waited for her outside her door until it was time to leave.