Chapter 33

English was rather awkward. I lucked out in that we didn't have to do any work together as a team, just listen to the lecture. When class ended I was the first out of the class to escape all the weird states and disapproving looks. I knew Amanda was glaring at me like some disappointed parent.
The school began to empty as I made my way to the auditorium. There wasn't an art club meeting, so Leo and I wandering the school after hours was prohibited. But I still found myself so drawn to him and naturally attracted to him. Now I felt as if I had this magnet inside of me dragging me toward him.
I threw open the doors, a small light bled through the underside of the curtain and I knew he was here. I followed the light, and there he was, digging through the costume closet.
"Took you long enough to get here." He remarked, not looking back to see if it were even me.
"I hope you're glad to know I received weird look for the duration of that class." I began to explore the rickety vanity.
"You loved it."
I bit my lip, cradling one of the old compacts in my hands and glancing at him through the mirror. He had on that set of chintzy armor, shuffling through the dresses with his brows pressed together.
"You look ridiculous." I met him by the closet, dusting off the shoulder of the costume.
"You don't like Shakespeare now either?"
"Preforming his work is like beating the dead horse, it would've been romantic about a hundred years ago."
He snatched me by my waist, our hips brushing against one another. Those blue eyes looked down upon me and grew dark as a few strands of hair fell before them. A grin crawled across his lips and I knew what he was thinking.
My hands rested on the cold costume on his chest as I met his gaze, still in shock from the sudden movement. His fingertips grazed at my lower back and a swarm of butterflies exploded in my stomach as I went weak in the knees.
Our faces lie mere inches apart and the anticipation of his lips on mine made my heart buzz. We had kissed numerous times before, but I sensed this one would be different. There was no one here to watch, no need to fill a void with the feeling of his lips on mine, I could just kiss him.
So I waited. I examined and studied his features seeing as that was my world. His piercing gaze with the mischievous and hungry grin and perfect pink lips. I felt myself become desperate like most of the school girls. I wanted him to kiss me like the world was going to end.
His other hand grazed the skin of my cheek and I leaned into his touch, our eyes locked on one another. His thumb swept across my cheek bone and that simple movement caused a smile to appear on his face.
"Please." I breathed when I felt the need for him and his lips grow too much.
He closed the small gap and I nearly melted through the floor. My eyes fluttered close and I let the kiss take over me. Our lips moved with one another like we had done this a million times before, like we had been doing this for years. The funny thing was, in that moment, I knew these were the only lips I ever wanted to taste again - even the cigarettes and winter mint gum.
His tongue swiped across my bottom lip, deepening our kiss and gently asking for that much more. And I wanted that much more, so I let him in and pulled him closer by hooking my arms around his neck. My hands ran through his hair, messing up it's pristine style. But he didn't care, because both of us knew this was all we wanted for the longest time, just a quiet place to share a kiss that meant something and everything.

'I have no idea what I'm going to get Leo for Christmas. Knowing him he's probably already got me something out of this world. I'll cry if his family got me something. According to Leo - which is a well trusted, peer reviewed source - his family really likes me and was glad I spent thanksgiving with them. I think my parents were glad to spend a holiday by themselves. But now another holiday was approaching. Maybe something sentimental? God I don't know. Leo, if you're reading this because I know you snoop in here when I'm not looking, give me an idea. Maybe I'll give you back you're green lighter just to see you smile.'
I closed my journal and flopped back in my bed, only for my phone to ring and bring me back from my pillows.
"Hey."
"Hey sweetheart, I wanted to know if you wanted to go to a party with me this evening. It's a Christmas party at Calvin's." Hearing his voice, even if it was over the phone, still made me excited.
"I'm guessing this means you two are on good terms?" I instinctively began to shuffle through my closet.
"Yeah, we talked about it. He said he deserved it, which I won't agree or disagree with. But all of that is old news, I'll see you at eight."
I had my arms crossed as I listened to him ramble, cherishing this moment because I know just a few months ago I would've taken advantage of this.
"I'll see you then. I love you."
"I love you more baby."
So at eight he picked me up and we went to this Christmas party. And the first faces we saw were Amy and Calvin. I kindly waved to Amy, considering there was no bad blood between us, but still that unspoken tension. But Calvin and Leo embraced in a hug and patted each other on the back like they were best friends. Amy and I exchanged a look with a giggle.
Leo grabbed us a drink and we sat on a couch, since it was just a bit too cold outside. His arm was draped around my shoulders and we shared a cigarette like the old days.
I laughed, thinking of the 'old days,' and how ironic it was that we were invited to a party where the host got his ass kicked by Leo.
"I didn't say anything funny yet." Leo nudged me, winking.
I rolled my eyes, "I just think it's funny how we're here."
"It is what it is." He gently rested my head on his shoulder.
I thought back to the fight, and the unease I felt and why Leo even beat the guy in the first place. "What did you mean when you said I was your girlfriend?"
I could've been a girl-friend or a girlfriend. Either way, it wasn't a valid reason to beat the shit out of some guy.
"What do you think?" Was that a rhetorical question?
"I-I don't know, it could go either way, that's why I'm asking."
Leo put out the cigarette and turned to look at me, I met his gaze, peering through my lashes.
"I meant you're my girl. I don't say I love you for nothing."
I giggled, "I'm your girl?"
"Of course," as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, "you've always been my girl."
He brushed a few strands of hair from my eyes, "I don't remember approving of this." I said.
"And I don't remember you disapproving."
He got me there. I basically slept with the guy after he called me his girlfriend, that should've solidified things for me.
"So, are you my boyfriend?" I teased.
"I'd like to be." Any other time he would've been quite obvious about what he wanted, but he seemed rather passive.
So I brought him in for a kiss, knowing it would help him find his confidence and just because I'd never get used to his lips on mine. "I'd like that too."

The End