Chapter 14: Reexamine

It was a long walk, but not nearly as long as Jevrem had feared. He should've realized that the presence of the soldiers without horses meant that they weren't far from a settlement. It did cross some rough terrain however, including some places where they had to climb a bit. He could see why the only machines he'd seen enter so far had been the crawlers. Nothing else would be able to pass this. He had a hard enough time with his peg leg.

When they arrived, the place they came to seemed almost like a small town. There was nothing particularly striking about it, but the fact that it was out here in the wilderness made it seem strange nonetheless. Looking around at the wares being sold and the people that surrounded them made it all come a bit clearer. This was a mining town.

He was back to the mine yet again.

Somehow he couldn't seem to shake this place.

Stian walked sternly at the front of the group, eyes straight ahead and brow furrowed. He hadn't spoken since completing the argument with Aina, a fact which didn't seem to bother her much as she followed him just as purposefully. Senka stared all around them, though from her expression Jevrem got the idea that she was mostly surprised and perhaps a bit disappointed that the view wasn't more strange, it being in Astansuria and all.

Stian led them to a building that seemed to be some sort of tavern. It was spacious inside, and there weren't many people this early in the day. Before Jevrem could look around too much a voice called out."Jevrem?! I don't believe it!"

He turned to see Arvid hurrying forward to greet them. The mage looked a little worse for the wear since Jevrem had parted ways with them. His fine robes were clean enough, but fraying around the edges and his face seemed tired. "It's good to see you again, Arvid," he said, smiling. He was a bit nervous about seeing them all again, actually, but it was nice to have someone here he could actually speak to and who would listen to what he had to say. "I am sorry...about..."

Before he could finish, Arvid waved a hand, "We can talk about it later, and we will be talking about it, but first I think we'll have to deal with the matter at hand." He turned to look at the soldiers, who still stood with their swords ready, waiting for any threatening move from their captives.

Aina spoke then, saying something in an exasperated voice and gesturing to Stian, who in turn replied angrily.

"You know that doesn't matter," Arvid said to him frowning, "This young man isn't a spy. Why on earth would he come back here if he was?"

As Stian began apparently laying out his case against Jevrem, Senka leaned over to him, pointed to Arvid and asked, "What is going on with this one?"

"Remember the translation spell Aina used?" Jevrem replied, "Arvid has a permanent version. He can understand everyone in the room and we can understand him."

"Ah," Senka said, shrugging a bit, "Handy."

Stian's tirade continued for a little while. Jevrem found himself wishing the mage would cast the translation spell on himself and Senka so they could follow the proceedings. However Arvid was caught up in the arguments and often seemed to forget that not everyone could understand what was being said. Not wanting to interrupt and draw further attention to himself, he tried to stay patient and wait.

Stian, of course, was the primary one arguing against them. It seemed he had some rank among these soldiers, since they seemed to listen to what he said. Often he'd turn to appeal to them and they'd nod to each other as if it all made perfect sense. It occurred to Jevrem that he hadn't really understood while traveling with Stian what it meant to say that he was "Lord Keld's man." Looking at him now, Jevrem realized that Stian had been wearing the uniform the entire time he'd been with them, simply without the armor strapped over top. Clearly he put a lot of stock in what this Lord Keld believed, and he clearly didn't like Goskarans.