Chapter 46

I don't have to ask any further. I know exactly what he means. He knows for certain that rebels exist, even if we find nothing on top of the mountain. After all, what are we?
We are the rebels. I realize that now. I'll bet there isn't anybody on top of the mountain... Oh, god.
"There were never any rebels..." I say quietly, as the cold realization hits me like a bucket of ice.
"That's not true. You've never been on the City's side- You've always been against the Order. So is everybody else who lives in the Wold, because they refuse to succumb to my- to the Rulers." He finishes quickly, stammering slightly, but I barely notice.
"Wait... What about all those other families," I say slowly, frowning at the ground. If you take your eyes off the trail for a moment-Not good. "Why did they come...?"
Stone shrugs. "Some were just seeking refuge. Others, well, I might have spread the word a little..." He finishes sheepishly.
"What?" I stop in my tracks, staring at him in disbelief.
"Oh, you know, I just put up some posters around Pine's trading post, might have conversed with the shopkeepers some..."
"They all died, Stone!" I cry in horror, hitting him weakly on the shoulder. I promise I would hit him harder if I wasn't about to collapse. "Died! Because you told some stupid lie! They all died, because of you! Died for nothing!"
"No-" He snarls suddenly, gripping my shoulders, and forcing my back to the wall of the mountain. "No! Never say that! It's not true, it's a lie!"
I would argue, but the look in his eyes, the wolf-like snarl on his face, scares me into submission. "Not for nothing, never. No. I needed to build a rebellion, I knew that from the beginning. What I didn't know is how hard it would be to get to the top. And I swear I had no idea the soldiers would come." He adds when I start to open my mouth.
He glares at me for another moment, eyes hard, before finally, as if coming out of a haze, he seems to realize he still has me pinned to the wall. It's as if he actually shrinks, all the strength and ferocity leaving him in a heartbeat, and he falls back wards, panting, and looking slightly confused.
"Fine, then. Fine," I say, and we begin to climb again, one hand over the other, on and on and on up the endless path. "But you need to tell me something."
"No." He says immediately, but I stop him. "You owe me! You think that was a small lie? You made me climb the freaking mountain! You owe me!!!"
He sighs deeply, but doesn't look at me. "Fine."
"Why did you need to start a rebellion?" I say quickly, taking the chance before he can change his mind.
The moment the words leave my mouth, he bites his lip and glares at a small rock. "I- I'll tell you when we get to the top."
"What!? You jus-"
"I promise," He adds quietly.
I stick my parched tongue out at him, but reluctantly kind-of agree.
"Yeah, but, to be honest, does your word mean that much?"