Chapter 10

A few minutes ago...

"So, where are you from?" The cheerful cheer captain's eyes sparkled with excitement and wonder as she sat at a small table in the restaurant.

The siren who was with her sat stiffly in her chair, fiddling with her thumbs under the table as Addison's eyes bore into her. The two girls were seated on the restaurants' deck overlooking the ocean where the others were located. The restaurant itself wasn't terribly busy as most of Seabrook's residents were at work or in school, but nonetheless, there were still people to serve. The waiter came up to the table, clicking his pen against his hand-held notebook.

"Anything to drink while you wait?"

"Ah, yes!" Addison pipped up, beaming as usual, "I would like some pink lemonade, and my friend would like it as well!"

"Alright, let me know when you're ready to order," and with a nod and a scribble, the man was gone as soon as he came.

Serina was visibly awkward sitting at the same table with Addison, who had been dragging her around since the moment they met. Her dark blue eyes never met the other girls. Instead, they focused on the menu on the table in front of her. The siren knew the language of the humans, but the names of the dishes didn't make sense to her in the slightest.

Addison's heel lightly tapped the wooden floor as she once again asked another question, "Why did you come to Seabrook?"

The siren glanced up, "I was... Am, looking for something..." She didn't know if she could trust this lander whose hair was as white as her own and with recent events. Serina realized she didn't know a thing about this new world or those who lived in it.

"Oh? What is it?? Do you know where it is?" Addison asked, hoping to get the answers she wanted from this new girl.

"Not... Exactly-"

"Could I help in some way?" Addison interrupted.

"Well-" Serina tried to speak but was once again cut off.

"Are you looking for a store? Or maybe something that has to do with my hair?" The captain leaned over the edge of the table, trying to get closer to Serina with a bright smile and hopeful eyes.

The other girl sunk into the wood of her chair, again showing how uncomfortable she was feeling. Serina's eyes shifted away to the ocean, her home. Addison continued to hammer down on questions one right after the other. At the same time, Serina kept her dark eyes on the waves. Watching the water roll over on itself from land gave Serina a sense of peace. The girl didn't notice that their drinks had arrived either, well, the drink Addison ordered for her.

While the siren girl stared mesmerized, Addison held her menu in her hands.

"Anyway, you're really quiet! Which, I'm totally okay with, I don't mind at all!" She laughed softly, "Do you want me to order for you? The Popcorn Shrimp Wrap is really good!"

For the first time, Addison glanced up at the girl sitting across from her. She noticed she was staring, so she followed the girl's gaze. The dark blue waves gently crashed on top of each other, white tuffs popping up as the water forming new waves. The gentle roar could be heard from the restaurants' deck, along with the screech of a few seagulls.

Addison's pale eyes shifted back to Serina, "Do you like the ocean?"

"Huh?" The siren's eyes were torn away from the rolling water with slight surprise, "Oh! Well, uh... I guess so."

"Do you live by the ocean?" Addison propped her elbow on the table, resting her cheek in her hand.

"Something like that." Serina glanced down at her lap.