II

Chapter Two: The Man In The Suit

❤︎

There is nothing better than waking up in the morning without an alarm clock. It was around 11 AM when I hopped out of bed, I am no night owl or a morning bird, and I'm a bear that hibernates every time my head touches a pillow but last night, I went to bed really late. I turn on my coffee maker and make myself a nice latte. I let the coffee taste linger on my tongue for a second and then swallowed it, feeling the coffee doing down my throat. I walk to my room to put on my jogging clothes. I tie my auburn colored hair into a high ponytail to keep it away from the sweating I was about to do.

I grab my keys, put them under the mat, and went down for my morning jog. I always run Saturday mornings, maybe it is the Coach inside of me, but I like it. These flights of stairs warm me up. I put on my headphones and Music rushes into my ears. The streets were a bit more joyful than yesterday. There were more children compared to yesterday and the café's had people sitting outside reading the newspaper.

I wanted to visit Jerry but the cafe was crowded and I didn't want to bother him. I will visit him later in the afternoon that's usually when I need my coffee the most.

❤︎

I felt like my body was burning up by the time I got back to my apartment. I bend over and reached for the key that I always leave under the mat. My hand came back empty. I tried again, nothing. I lifted up the mat and the key wasn't there. My heart started racing and I started sweating even more. I decided to try the door. I slightly pushed my door hoping it wouldn't budge.

It opened.

I took a deep breath and calmed myself down. A few seconds went by and I was no longer scared but rather curious. A little fear went through my veins again but I ignored it. I pushed the door further inwards and stepped inside. There was a tall man standing with his back against me in my living room. I didn't need to see the rest of his face to recognize those brown curls and jawline.

"Hi, Eddie,"

"Long time no see," he said facing me.

Eddie took a few steps closer, so close that I could tell he had a new scar on his neck. It was very red but it wasn't bleeding. I saw his light brown eyes, and freckles sprinkled over his face. He had a masculine face every athlete has; Eddie has it even though he rarely plays. He played basketball when he was little, Eddies dream was to make it to the NBA's. That is how I met him.

I was playing with my dog in my backyard when I was around ten. Suddenly out of nowhere a basketball hits me right in the head, I fell down. After regaining my strength, I looked up and saw a little boy around my age, looking at me through my fence. "Can I have my ball back Clumsy?" He said.

I tried not to smile at that memory. I took a step back.

"You know it's illegal to break into someone's house, right?" I clarified.

What is he doing here? I would be less surprised to see the president in my living room but not Eddie. I mean, it has been ages.

"Not when you have a key." Eddie grinned, throwing a key at me. I caught it and put it on a table next to me.

Eddie went on ahead and took a seat on my couch. He motioned me to do the same. I did and I made sure I was a few seats away. "Alright talk, and this better be good or I'm calling the police."

"but I am the police." Eddie laughed.

Damn it! I knew he would say that, I regretted it as soon as it left my tongue.