Chapter 3

Before I entered my house, the yelling became louder. Wanting to avoid the noise, I decided to go in through my window instead of the front door. I started to climb up the wall, but my hand slipped. Instead of falling, my hand acted as some sort of grip to the wall. Great, I could climb walls now. I'm turning into a bug. This day really sucks, well, besides the whole getting to hand it to Flash thing. That was pretty fun. Getting into my room, I was greeted by a very upset father. Shit. He started screaming and cussing me out. As much as I wanted to lash out, to scream back. I didn't. I kept my mouth shut and took the yelling. When he finally left, the yelling didn't stop. I put in my earbuds and blasted music. The yelling disappeared and was replaced by music. I pulled out my sketch book, and started to sketch. My drawing turned into some kind of wasp costume. My mind was flooded, so this was all I could create. I had the abilities of a wasp, a freaking super wasp. I had wings, I could sense things before they even happened, I was incredibly strong, and I could climb walls. That's just what I knew now. For all I knew there could have been more. I stretched my arms above my head. I felt something leave my arm, and the sound of an impact accompanied it. Looking up I saw a black long thing sticking out of my ceiling. I had to jinx it didn't I.

I stood on my chair and pulled out the sharp stick thing. What is this thing? I clicked a few seconds later. If I have abilities like a wasp. The wings, the grippy things on my hands, and the precognition. A wasp also has stingers. This must be my stinger. It comes out of my wrist or something. I removed my headphones. The sound of silence made me smile.

I snuck down the kitchen and grabbed a few empty glass bottles. We had plenty to spare. Both my parents were hard core sleepers, especially after a few drinks. When I made it back to my room, I stuffed the bottles in a bag, along with an extra shirt. It was time to find out exactly what I was capable of. Throwing the bag over my shoulder, I left my room through my window.

The world outside was dark, but just bright enough for me to see. I walked down the streets, soon finding an alley. Making sure no one could see me, I placed one hand on the wall. Just as I hoped, it gripped to the wall as I pulled myself up. Placing one hand after another, I finally reached the top of the building. I took in the fresh smell of the night air. Then, something hit my nose, the smell of smoke. I looked around, not seeing any fire close by. The smell still lingered. There was a fire somewhere, but where? I remember the tour guide saying something about their wasps having a heightened sense of smell. This must be it. The sound of firetrucks filled my ears as I watched them drive by. I can help. My wings. I needed them now. I had no clue how to summon them. I thought about them, begging them to appear. Nothing happened. I flexed my back, hoping that would do something. Growing desperate, I did something unimaginable. I launched myself off the side of the building. Last time I fell they appeared. Maybe this time they'd do it again. The familiar sound of buzzing filled my ears. Thank god. I moved and followed the fire trucks.

Soon, the smell of smoke became worse. Looking to my left, I saw the fire. It wasn't big. The top floor of an apartment building. I looked down and saw a group of civilians. They were probably from the building. The sound of screaming broke my concentration. Someone was still inside. The firemen wouldn't reach them in time, they would die. I landed on a roof by the building. I pulled out my extra shirt. My lungs would need some sort of protection from the smoke. I wrapped the shirt around my face. The best I could do with what I had. I made sure I could see and left the ground once again. I headed for a window in the back. I shattered it with a kick. I entered, seeing flames everywhere. More screams for help came from the right.

"Where are you?" I shouted, not sure where they were.

"Back here!"

I looked towards the voice, seeing a figure on the floor covered by smoke. I quickly made my way to them. Scanning their body I saw a big piece of wood over their one arm. I ripped a piece of my shirt off.

"Here hold this over your mouth and nose." I said, handing it to their good hand.

They looked at me with fear in their eyes.

"I'm gonna get you out of here, okay?"

They nodded slightly. They didn't talk much, probably from shock. I needed to get their arm free.

"Hey what's your name?" I asked, trying to hide the fear growing inside.

"James." He answered.

"Okay James, listen. I've gotta get your arm free. Meaning I have to move the wood. I'm not going to lie, it'll most likely hurt like hell. But I need you to move your arm out from under it. I won't be able to hold it up for long, okay? You think you can do that for me?"

He nodded. I made my way to the piece of wood. Placing my hands on both sides, I looked at James.

"Ready?"

"Ready."

I let out a grunt as I lifted the wood. James made a small cry of pain. Once I had the wood up high enough, he moved his arm out of the way. The wood slipped from my hands and fell to the ground with a thump. Fire had now surrounded us, so I needed to find an exit. I stepped forward, looking for an exit point. The ground beneath me gave out. Shit. I fell through, my wings unable to save me. I landed hard. My vision was clouded in smoke.

"Are you okay?" I heard James's frantic voice.

"I'm good, I'll be back up in a minute."

I looked down seeing a gash on my leg. Blood poured from it. I thought quickly, ripping a chunk from my shirt and wrapping it tightly around my wound. I stood up, a whimper escaping my lips. I looked up and saw the hole I fell through. It was too high, so I couldn't pull myself up. My wings buzzed, the hole was too small for them to fit. I was stuck. I rushed in here, thinking I was god. Here I am now. About to die one of the most excruciating deaths. My breathing became ragged. I was going to die. I wasn't going to get to live my life. I wasn't going to be able to leave my parent's shithole. I'd be forever just a nobody.

"Are you still there?" James's voice was flooded in fear, as it pulled me from my thoughts.

I couldn't leave him. He needed help, and I was his greatest chance. I pulled myself together. This wasn't my end, and I'd make sure of that.

"Yeah, I'm here. I'm coming, don't worry."

I couldn't reach the ledge of the hole, but my wings wouldn't fit. I could fly as close as I could and then pull myself through. I could do it, couldn't I? My wings buzzed as I made my way to the ledge, I reached out my hands holding onto the ledge. I pulled myself up, and through the hole.I climbed up, seeing James infront of me.

"Thank god." He mumbled.

"Let's get the hell out of here."

I looked, scanning for a way out. I locked onto a window. Fire blocked our path. It wasn't much. If I used my body as a shield, James would be able to make it.

"We're gonna go for that window, okay? I'll block the flames, you get through. I'll be right behind you."

He nodded, getting to his feet. He followed close behind. I stepped and blocked the flames with my back.

"Go."

James rushed through and I quickly followed. Surprisingly, there was no extreme pain. I looked at my back, seeing scorch marks on my wings. They blocked the flames, and yet they weren't destroyed. Indestructible wings. I shattered the window, letting James go first. We were finally free. I looked to James, who smiled in appreciation. I nodded, flying off.

I made it home, my mind racing. Never again. I'd do more harm than good. I was just some girl with a gift. Though it felt more like a curse. I needed training and discipline, but where would I find that? What, walk to the closest Army recruit center and ask them to train me, but not deploy me? That would never work. I would never find training. I could try, though. I'd never have enough money for college, but I did have enough for tactical training. I could become a bodyguard, a few years of training and then I would have discipline. I would be able to handle myself, I wouldn't be naive. I could do it. Even if I couldn't, it wouldn't hurt to try.

~~Hi, Fallen_Angel here. Have a great day. Be good people.~~