Peek-A-Boo

It's late. The kind where you can't tell if it actually is late or just really early.
The howling winds of Snowchester pounded on the windows of the mansion, thrashing about outside like an angry spectre looking to get in.

The quiet, almost inaudible sobs and gasps coming from the panic closet seemed in direct contrast with the loud echoes of the wind.
Drowned out by all but the quietest sounds, like the sound of snoring just the room over.
Or the sound of tiny footsteps creeping through the empty hallways, their owner looking for a late-night snack well past his bedtime.
The mansion itself made sounds too, something like a soft echoing hum.
None of it felt louder though than the silent war raging inside Ranboos own mind. his desperate attempts to calm himself lead nowhere, or at worst, no where good.
He tucked his legs close to his center, as if curling into himself would protect him from the world outside the closet. He held his head in his shaky hands, grasping his hair like a lifeline. Wiping the unceasing tears trailing down his face to no avail.
The sounds of his downward spiral fell deaf on the ears of his husband, well-known for staying awake for long stretches of time and crashing hard when he so much as sat down after his several day no sleeping streak. In this state, not even another doomsday could wake tubbo.

His descent did not fall deaf on the ear of the other person living in the house, however. Ranboo was too stuck in his own head to notice that the footsteps down the hall had gotten closer.
A small figure in the darkness opened the door a crack, peering in before letting himself into the panic closet.
Michael walked over to his dad, sitting right in front of him. He tilted his head in confusion before lightly tapping his dad, who seemed to have not noticed his presence yet.

"..M-michael?....." Ranboo asked shakily, finally snapping out of his thoughts. He wiped his eyes and looked at his son, a bit bewildered. "w-..what.... what are you doing awake..?"

" *Oink* " He stated, covering his eye with his hand before opening it again.

"H-huh?" He asked, tilting his head inquisitivly, loosening the death grip on his legs in the process.

" *Oink* " repeated Michael a bit more enthusiastically, before repeating the motion.
"O-oh.... you think I'm-...." He started before trailing off. "You want to play peekaboo?"

Michael nodded quickly.

Ranboo hummed quietly in acknowledgement "o-okay." He said, before covering his eyes.

"peekaboo?" his voice cracked midway through, and it came out more like a question than a statement, but Michael didn't seem to care. He looked happy either way, clapping his little hands for more.

"Peekaboo" He tried again, this time a little less raspy, "peekaboo!" Michael giggled quietly, smiling ear to missing ear. He scooted closer to his dad, leaning over so he could still see him.

Michael started playing with the sleeves of Ranboo's sweater, and after a few minutes, let out a big yawn. Ranboo lifted his son into his lap, rubbing little circles into his back.
Michael leaned into his dad, falling asleep fast.

Ranboo got up off the ground and shifted so he held his son in his arms. Walking out the panic closet left him a little dizzy. He still felt shaky from the crying, and the light from the window didn't help his sensitive eyes.
It didn't matter though. The wind howling outside didn't matter, nor did the wars raging beyond Snowchester. none of the world beyond this room mattered. In this moment, all that mattered was his husband and son, both fast asleep.
His family.

Speaking of, his platonic husband layed only half covered by the blanket and still dressed in his work clothes. the comforter was strewn about the bed In a way that made it look like a hurricane blew through. The papers stacked haphazardly on tubbos desk only seemed to fuel that notion.
He smiled fondly at him and used his free hand to lift the blanket, to which Tubbo protested with a incoherent grumble.
With that, he gently set Michael down on the bed, tucking the two of them in before joining them under the covers.

He laid there for a moment. steadying his heartbeat, taking in the room, staring at the ceiling.
He found it helped him slow down his thoughts a bit.

A few minutes later he let his eyes slowly droop, shifting so he could face tubbo and michael.
Smiling at his son, he let the world fade away, finally settling into a dreamless sleep.

Thank you for reading this fanfic :)
Feel free to comment if you have any criticism or tips, I'm always looking to improve and would really appreciate the feedback :>

Words: 775 (not including the A/N at the end)