intro.

Mia walked across the field with a blanket and water bottle in her hand. She looked out towards the city, all the buildings illuminated with colorful lights. She hated it. 

She didn't think it was fair that all of these people got to be happy but she did not.

Her eyes were so glossy from tears, she didn't even realize another person was here. She threw her leg over the rail before lifting another so she could sit on the edge. She didn't hear anything due to her loud earbuds. Mia still didnt notice the boy sitting only about six feet away.

Ethan looked at the lights before looking up towards the sky. There were many stars, but only the three bright ones stood out. He didn't realize the girl that was sitting nearby.

Looking down at his hand, he frowned and twisted the ring around his finger.

Mia slightly kicked her feet, making Ethan see from his periphal vision. It was evident she was crying, just like he had. He didn't know what to say -- if he should say anything. Out of habit, he started to slight kick his own feet. This got her attention.

She snapped towards him, but he was already turned away.

"I guess we both know where the best seat in the city is." She says softly, but he heard her.

"I didn't know anybody else even knew about this."

"Me niether. It's a good place to sulk."

"You don't have to tell me. I already know. I come here often."

Mia notice his skin was streaky.

"So, what brings you here?" He asks. "If you don't mind me asking."

"My mother and sister got into a car accident. They passed. Now I come here to sulk." Mia said softly. He almost didn't hear her.

"My brother passed away. Thats why I come her to sulk."

"I'm sorry." She said, but she knew it didn't help. She'd heard an abundant amount of apologies from people these past couple of weeks but the apology solved absolutely nothing.

Ethan shook his head, pulling his lip between his teeth as he looked back towards the city. The lights were mesmorizing to him. He loved seeing all these lights and believed that the lights were a sign of happiness.

"Hey, do you want to get out of here?"

"Huh?" Mia said, looking towards the strange boy. "Let's go get a pizza, my treat."

"I'm fine. Thanks." She shook her head. In her head, all she could think was how crazy he was. She hears the boy chuckle before he speaks again.

"You're not. Niether am I. Let's not be alone tonight." Ethan says, looking at the girl with challenging eyes. His mood had been slightly lifted by her presence alone. The mere thought of somebody finally understanding what he been through helped him more than he could have ever thought. 

Mia thought about it, looking back to the sky before shrugging. What could happen in one night? Surely nothing worst than what happened six months ago.

"Only if you know a good pizza place." She finally agrees, which leads him to clap his hands before he exclaims with a witty remark.

"I live in New York. Of course, I know the best pizza place."

Mia wanted to smile and roll her eyes, but then she came to the realization that she doesn't know him. She knows absolutely nothing about this guy, and here she was going to get pizza with him.

•••

"What if in ten years from now, we both were back here again?" Ethan babbles in his drunken state and Mia smiles, taking a bite of her pizza before speaking. "We might just have to get married."

"What if I am already married?" Mia asks, rubbing her thumb across her palm.

"What if you're not?" Ethan challenges, stuffing the last part of his pizza into his mouth. He licks his lips before reaching for another.

"Oh, then we would definitely have to. No choice." Mia agrees, laughing as she watched her new friend eat his pizza. He chewed with such concentration that she wasn't even sure if he was paying attention to what she said. But, of course, he did.

"Yeah."

"Could you see yourself marrying someone like me?"

"Definitely. You're everything I look for in a partner. You?" He says, bluntly. He didn't lie. This was true. The amount of understanding she has displayed in the short time since they met was everything that he wanted. The understanding was everything that he needed.

"Let's do it." He says, shrugging. What're the odds of them ever seeing each other again.

"Huh?" She double takes, looking back towards him.

"In ten years, we'll get married if we aren't already."

"You're crazy." Mia smiled. This would never happen.

"I guess. What do you say?"

"Sure. I doubt I'll be traveling around the world anytime soon. We probably won't ever cross paths again."

"Let's leave that part to fate."

"Okay."

"So, in ten years, May 22nd in 2022, if we are not already married, we'll get married. I believe we'll cross paths."

"If that does end up happening, then we should. You're seeing into the future."

"I wish I could. Then maybe I could stop certain things from happening."Ethan said quietly, but Mia heard him. She frowned, knowing he was talking about his late brother. This only made her think about her mother and sister.

Wasn't it weird how somebody could make you forget about the bad things in the world?

Mia felt oddly comfortable around Ethan, regardless of only knowing him for a couple of hours.

"What do you plan to do after tonight?"

"I am heading on the first plane out, six am sharp. I will be on my way to Greece. What are your plans?"

"Finish school and hopefully get a good job." She responds, playing with her nails.

"In New York?"

"Yeah, I don't think I could ever see myself leaving this place."

"I couldn't either but I need a change of scenary." Ethan comments and Mia nods, understanding the desire to leave. She just never could.

An hour later, Ethan walked beside Mia with linked arms, a crooked smile across his face as he listened to Mia blabber about why she didn't like raisins. Mia turned sharply, pulling Ethan behind her as she walked up the stairs to the apartment building. "This is you?"

"Yeah. I'll be moving soon because it's expensive and too big for just me."

"Oh."

"Yeah." It goes silent.

"Thank you," Mia said, "for a good night. I really needed it. If you were staying, I know we'd be good friends."

"It's okay. I'll see you again. I have a plane to catch." Ethan smiled. As if it were planned, both parties turned abruptly, probably to stop them from attaching any unnecessary strings. Then, they both went their seperate ways without a goodbye.

Soon, they both forgot about their whole ten year pact, and slowly forgot about one another.