Chapter 1: Divorce

(Niccoya's POV):

The beginning of high school was a big this for me. First impression was also a very serious topic for me. When I first walk into Gilmore High, it represents who I will be for the next for years. School doesn't start until next Tuesday. 7 days until I determine my high school reputation. My mom is nervous and is thinking I might get pregnant..by a senior. ¨Just because you had me at a young age doesnt mean im going to make the same mistake you did.¨ We had been having this discussion ever since I graduated 8th grade. It was kind of tiring to know that when I wake up, we would have to talk about condoms at breakfast.

Being the only child isn't the worst thing ever. I practically get anything I want.

*

*

*

It was the day before school. I had gotten my hair braided by Africans. 

¨Dang ma. These braids hurt!¨ It felt like my scalp was burning. I wasn't used to getting my hair braided by other people.

¨You'll get used to it. Come down here and help me with these groceries.¨ 

I had my whole outfit planned out for school.  My dad had bought me some new red and white Air Jordan 4s. 

¨You like my shoes mama¨

¨They nice, but I don't know why your daddy buy you expensive stuff just to grow out of it and dirty it up.¨

My mom was the type to go to Payless and then those would be my ¨First day of school shoes¨.

Next morning

It was officially my first day of high school. I jumped out of bed and quickly got dressed. After I brushed my teeth of course.

¨Ma im ready!¨ 

My mama never was on time. Black folks specifically.

After 20 minutes of driving I arrived at my new school. I didn't know anyone there but I was hoping I could make new friends.

I walked up the steps with my Jordans, My jeans and my white Nike t-shirt. It was so crowded!

High school, here I come.