Chapter 6, Edaline

By the time Edaline had gone to every guest, profusely apologizing for Jolie's mysterious absence, she was ready to collapse. Instead, she told Grady to see everyone out and went to Jolie's room.

Her daughter was sitting on her bed, staring at the space next to her bookshelves. A lavender notebook was sitting in her lap; besider her, the slim pen she used for sketches.

Edaline stepped inside with a sad smile. She'd figured tonight would be hard for Jolie, what with there being a celebration for something her and Brant had received so much flack for. She'd hoped it would bring Jolie's spirits back up, but... sometimes hope was misplaced. Maybe Jolie wasn't happy now, but that didn't mean she wouldn't be-- and that didn't mean Edaline couldn't help her get there.

"Sweetheart," she said softly, so as not to startle Jolie. "Are you okay?" She moved over to sit next to her.

Jolie didn't say anything for a long time, and the two women sat there in silence, together but so far apart. Finally, Jolie whispered, "What if someone wasn't who you thought they were?"

Edaline's heart squeezed, and tears sprang to her eyes.

Why wouldn't Jolie tell her how to help? That's all Edaline wanted to do, but she felt so helpless.

So weak.

She hadn't meant to, but she'd seen Melanie and Jolie's exchange at the party. She didn't know what they said to each other, but Jolie's face afterward looked so down, and then she'd retreated to her room...

Edaline placed a comforting hand on Jolie's shoulder. "There will always be people who disappoint us, and it's up to us to decide when to forgive, and when to walk away."

Jolie's face scrunched up, and she leaned into Edaline. "I love you, Mom."

Mom. She hadn't been called that in a long time.

"I love you too," she whispered, holding Jolie as if she'd never let go.

Edaline was taking the curtains down in the ball room when Jolie walked in, looking exhausted.

Edaline frowned, glancing at the afternoon sunlight. "You slept in late."

"I couldn't fall asleep."

Edaline nodded and moved to pull down the next curtain when Jolie sighed. "I... I think I'm ready to walk away," she whispered.

Edaline froze. Her mind flashed to their conversation last night, then to Melanie walking away from Brant and Jolie. To all the times Jolie had screamed at the Matchmakers. To the hopeful eyes as they picked up another list.

Jolie would never forgive herself if she gave up now. And Edaline wasn't sure Jolie would forgive her for allowing that to happen.

She snapped her fingers, Conjuring the remaining curtain onto the pile in the corner, and faced Jolie. Her voice was soft but firm when she said, "Jolie. You are the kindest, bravest, most beautiful daughter a mother could ask for. You are so strong."

"I don't feel strong."

"Oh, sweetheart." Edaline reached for Jolie's hand. "You are. You've weathered months of hardship and scorn, and I... I'm so sorry your father and I didn't see that before. We're trying to make up for it as best we can."

Jolie smiled sadly and squeezed Edaline's hand. "I know."

"Strength isn't about not being afraid. Strength is impossible without fear. But Jolie-- you must never let fear drive you. If you walk away now, you'll regret it for the rest of your life."

A beat of silence passed with Jolie and Edaline silently crying. Finally, Jolie let go of her mother and wrapped her in a hug. "Thank you for helping me. I won't give up."

"That's my girl."

Jolie held on a second longer before pulling away and walking over to the window.

"What are you doing?" Edaline asked as she pulled out a pathfinder.

"I need to go see someone."

"Goodby--"

But before Edaline could finish her sentence, Jolie was gone.

Edaline felt her chest loosen. Maybe... maybe what she'd said had helped Jolie. Maybe they could put Matchmaking behind them. It would be one problem crossed off their--

"Edaline," Grady's voice said, and she spun to the doorway to find her husband standing there, wringing his hands.

Her smile fell. "What is it? Why are you home?" He was supposed to be working on the Council's assignment; she'd expected him to be gone all day.

"I... asked for the day off. We need to talk."

"Oh no, what is it? Did something happen? Should I--" She was cut off as Grady kissed her. When he pulled away, she raised her eyebrows. "What was that for? I thought this was bad news."

"I love you, Eda-- and I know you know that, but lately I've been keeping secrets from you, and I also know that's making you upset. So... I thought we could talk."

"About the Black Swan?"

She held her breath and counted to twelve seconds before he said, "Yes. About the Black Swan."

"If you don't want to..."

"I need to, Eda. You're my wife, and I can't keep secrets from you. Not about this. Especially about this."

Edaline guided him to the throne-like chairs that were still left from the night's party. They sat, and she took a deep breath. "Tell me-- I'm listening."

He closed his eyes. She could see this was hard for him. "It... was about a month ago. I was on assignment from the Council, tracking down a runaway yeti, when this cloaked man showed up. He started telling me things, showing me all the times the Council has messed up. I didn't listen-- I told him to go away. He did, but when I got home the next day, I found a note by my pathfinder."

Edaline gasped. "It was from them?"

"Yes. And every day since, I've found hidden messages everywhere. In my pockets, under my pillow, on my desk..."

"They're trying to recruit you," Edaline said numbly. "Because you're a Mesmer."

"I haven't joined them, Eda. I've ignored their notes so far."

So far. Those words washed over Edaline with cold clarity. "Why are you telling me this now?"

Grady swallowed. "I found another note three days ago. In my cape pocket."

"What did it say?"

Grady reached into his breast pocket and pulled out a small slip of paper. Edaline took it with shaking fingers.

She unraveled it, feeling her heart sink with dread as she read the message:

You don't know who you're dealing with.