Chapter 6: The palace

After the meeting, everyone was very happy that we had found a solution to this devastating problem.
We decided that we will begin the execution of the antidote from tomorrow morning. Karl and I have to be present every time whenever the antidote is given.

Karl said he needs to talk with the officials and I could wait if I want or leave. Apparently, he is going to have a meeting with the beta and gamma. According to my knowledge, he is the second and third in command. But I am not sure if the king is called the alpha. I decided to call it a day and leave.

On my way home I picked some groceries, food, and some clothes for Ron. On reaching home I found Ron glued to the computer. I wonder what he is doing.

"To earth Ron" I said to get his attention. He looked at me and came run like a cheetah and hugged me.

"I missed you Mom" I stroke his hair.

After a moment he looked into my eyes and said "Is it okay if I call you Mom?" He said in a soft voice. "Yes, baby but won't your mom feel sad if you call me mom?"

He looked down and said " My mother said that I am not her child and I deserve to die" his eyes watered.

I definitely know his mom is a disguise to this world. I will no longer mention her in front of him. I promised myself.

"Hey, don't cry sweetie. You can call me mom okay?"
He started clapping his hands and smiling.

"Why don't you tell me how old you are?" I questioned
He held 6 fingers in the air.

"Okay good. And do you go to school?"
"Noooo."

"Do you want to go to school? I'll search for a school nearby and we can get you enrolled"

"Bad people will kill me in school." he frowned

"Nobody is going to hurt you darling and look you are all well now."

"But they don't know I am all well. If I go out they will catch me and burn me"
This slipped out of my mind. He is definitely smart.

"Let's not talk about this okay?" I tried my best to divert his attention. "

What would you like for dinner? Do you like chicken?"

"Yeesssss"

"Okay, then why don't you try those clothes and I'll call you when chicken is ready!"
He took the clothes and went to his bedroom. At night we had dinner and slept.

A week passed with me having the same routine. Ron started reading all the books I had. Most were basic biology and few history-related magazines.

I also introduced him to online learning. I taught him to use computers and he mastered it within 3 days.
Every day he is learning something new. I am happy he is occupied when I am at work. At least he is not all lonely here killing boredom.

As for the patients at the research center, all the patients and responding positively to the antidote.

The king and has kept a celebration and Karl and me being the leading people for the research were invited along with a few more from the institute. The party was at night. I had picked a plain pink gown as Karl told me the parties are quite formal. I decided to do light makeup and left my hair open.

I went to Ron's room to tell him I was leaving. I don't know if it's my imagination or truth but it looks like Ron is growing. Like not just growing but growing rapidly. He had the physic of a 6-year-old when I met him first and when I confirmed his age he said that he is 6. But now he looks like an 8-year-old and it isn't even a week. Surely, these are my imagination. Yet, I will measure his height and weight tomorrow.

"Mom? Why are you all dressed up?" He said examining me in my new dress as he had never seen wearing anything shinny before.

"I am going to the party at the king's palace. It's kind of a celebration" I said looking for my car keys.

"You are invited to the king's palace?" he covered his mouth in surprise.

"I wouldn't go if I wasn't. I am in no mood for a formal meet and greet trust me but I have to be there as a compulsion. Besides, I already hate the king so that could be a bonus"

"You haven't even met him yet, mom" he said making a bubble face.

"Yes and I don't even want to. I know what kind of person he is...." I started but he cut me off
"Okay okay... you look soooooo pretty" he said widening a smile

"Thank you, baby." I placed a kiss on his cheek.

He knows I get all annoyed whenever we talk about the king. So he decided to cut the topic off. Wait isn't he a 6 year old. How can he think so much? When I was 6 I couldn't even stop crying if I didn't get a bar of chocolate.

"There is dinner in the fridge. And a fruit bowl. I won't be out for long. Call me if you need anything"

Even though he is 6, he can still use a microwave and turn on the stove. He also knows to cook eggs with little help to get on the platform.

Karl said he would pick me because I didn't know where the palace is. I checked my phone it was 6.45 pm. I was about to call him but I heard a honk outdoor.

Ron shot up his seat worried. "Relax baby, that's my coworker here to pick me. Just close the doors and don't open the windows. Don't go upstairs"
"Yes mom" was all he said

I got into Karl's car.

"You look beautiful." He complimented
"You don't look so bad yourself" I joked and we both laughed.
It didn't feel like he was my senior. We had become friends already. Karl is the closest person to me in this town.
Obviously after Ron.

We reached the palace.
It was a huge white marble building with lush greenery all around. Just like a fairy tale palace. It had the love story vibe.
The place was decorated with flowers all over. There was plenty of food. We entered the hallway and were looking for the other members. Karl said he would get us drinks and left to fetch drinks. I stood in a corner.