Chapter 27: We sail again

After the meeting at the Naval office, it was found that the charges brought against Samuel Ealing were null and void, and he was cleared of all wrongdoing. The Navy accepted receipt of the Peace Treaty, and Mister Ealing was awarded his pay. In the hearing, Emily Ealing's bravery was noted but when she asked about whether the privateers would be honoured, the officers laughed, stating that they might as well honour the ship or the sea, for they had just as much to do with their success.

When they were eventually dismissed, Emily felt as though she could breathe again. And when her father emerged from a cloakroom freshly shaved, hair combed and dressed in a sharper attire, he was more whole than she could ever remember.

'Well, this certainly has been a very interesting adventure,' Mister Ealing noted to the Lieutenant as he escorted them and Captain Jones down the dockside approach. 'So much the adventure that I'm quite certain I wouldn't want to have another like it.'

'Quite so,' Lieutenant Colbert agreed. 'I can't begin to imagine. I can only apologise again on behalf of the company, and once again extend an invitation to join me for dinner. Miss Ealing?'

Emily's first thought was of Martin, but Colbert's eyes were so wide and hopeful that she struggled to find the strength to crush his hopes. Besides, dinner was innocent enough if it ever did transpire, and it would be rather difficult to explain to her father why she would forgo the company of a high-ranking and well-respected naval officer in favour of a low-ranking privateer. 'I-I'd be delighted to... another time,' she smiled, not too weakly, but not too enthusiastically either. 'I have previous commitments.'

'Really?' Lieutenant Colbert blushed, evidently not taking the hint. 'Well, that's wonderful to hear. I look forward to a time of your choosing.'

'Wonderful!' Captain Jones stepped ahead of Mister Ealing, interrupting Emily before she could finish her thoughts. Jones nestled himself into the Lieutenant's elbows space. 'A splendid idea. Why don't we kick off the celebration of your freedom, Sam, by moseying on down to my dock-house for a drink? I have some excellent, rare French imports that I'm sure will be to your favourable taste. And while you're there, Lieutenant Colbert, I could even give you a tour of the place. You know, show you our wares, the establishment at work, my pride and joy. If you're lucky, I might even introduce my own daughter, Danielle. She's a rare beauty, and quite the catch for any bachelor, such as yourself.'

'Indeed,' Colbert looked over his shoulder at Emily and rolled his eyes playfully. 'Well, I'd be delighted to accompany you, if Mister Ealing and Miss Emily are happy to?'

While her father begrudgingly nodded, Emily unsteadily rocked her head from side to side.

'Would... it be possible to have a tour some other time? I was hoping to talk to Mister Hamish of the Scourge before he has the chance to get lost somewhere in town.'

Jones smirked, a malicious star twinkling in his eye. 'Oh, there won't be any danger of that.'

Emily's heart dropped slightly. Something sinister about the way he spoke put her on edge. 'H-how do you mean?'

'As we speak, your band of privateers, along with their little ring leader, Hamish, are being rounded up by soldiers in preparation for their trial.'

'Trial?!' Emily's father gasped. Emily was too stunned to speak. 'O-on what charges?'

'Fraud, assault, treason, barratry, murder... I'm sure we can think of others when all the details come out. Ealing, you and your daughter will have to appear as witnesses, of course. I would suggest getting yourselves lawyers too, just in case any of those pirates implicate the pair of you.'

Emily exploded with fury. 'Those men fought tooth and claw to get that cylinder here! They fought and died for our Queen, and for me! They should be heralded as heroes, and you want to brand them as criminals?! After what you've done?!'