Monday

MONDAY

Walking together into the gym, Samantha and Emma Kate smiled at each other.

"Finally! Out of my small spare bedroom and off of that boring treadmill. I'm so looking forward to the track" Samantha gave a dramatic twirl which had Emma Kate laughing.

The gym that they both belonged to was fairly close to the university campus and had both an indoor and an outdoor track as well as a pool, fitness room, weight room, hot tub and sauna. The membership was a little steep for the average student but the two of them had convinced their parents, or in Emma Kate's case, her grandmother, that the membership would make a perfect Christmas present so each year their fees were renewed as a gift and they made certain to take advantage by coming as often as possible.

Lowering her voice to whisper in Sam's ear she said "Don't look now but you've got an audience" Samantha gave a cursory look around to see that most eyes were aimed their way before she turned to her friend in annoyance. Putting her hands on her hips she glared at Emma Kate. "You" she poked a finger toward Emma Kate, "put yourself down and lift me up too often." Seeing the shocked look in her best friend's eyes she softened her voice and linking her arm through Emma Kate's, dragged her toward the change rooms.

"Emma Kate, you are beautiful." When she started to object Samantha cut her off "You are gorgeous. You have a beautiful figure, gorgeous curly blond hair, deep warm brown eyes – you're perfect! I don't know why you can never believe that men are looking at you. Lord knows that I'm not perfect."

She turned a mischievous smile to her friend "Although don't tell Adam that because he still believes that I am" she fluttered her eyelashes making Emma Kate laugh.

"You're right, I'm sorry. I know that you don't like the attention or putting up with my poor self-image" seeing Samantha frown, she continued "I do think that I'm okay looking and I'm happy with myself, mostly, but you my friend are gorgeous – whether you believe it or not." She put her arm around Samantha's shoulders "Sorry, chum. You're cursed"

Putting her stuff into a locker Emma Kate started to toe off her shoes. "But, I'm willing to put up with some ogling if you are. I have missed the gym and that second bowl of ice cream last night might not be my friend if I don't get busy here."

"Let's go then" Sam said getting her gear on in record time. "Quick heavy bag workout and weights for me, since I've only mostly been doing the treadmill lately, and then we hit the outdoor track. Last one to three miles buys the drinks"

"You're on"

Exhausted, but in the absolute best way, Samantha and Emma Kate made their way back to the change rooms where they indulged in a quick sauna before hitting the showers. They had plans to head out for a late dinner together and Samantha was looking forward to a nice icy margarita – since Emma Kate was buying.

They were dressed and on their way out of the building when the employee behind the membership desk called out "Hey, Samantha, wait a second" They turned to walk back toward the desk just as the woman came out from behind it holding a rose. She smiled brightly at Samantha while she held it out to her "This was dropped off for you. Looks like you have an admirer" Samantha thanked her as she walked back to her desk before turning to Emma Kate who had already put her arm around her shoulders and was rubbing her arm.

"Yay, lucky me" Samantha muttered before sighing and calling Adam and leaving a message for him when she got his voice mail and then calling Sergeant Lyle. She and Emma Kate went outside to wait on the sidewalk in front of the gym.

A patrol car arrived shortly after she hung up and two officers approached, one of them looking down to answer his cell phone as he walked. "Yeah, will do." He raised his eyes to Samantha and then gave a quick jolt before he caught himself. She watched him swallow nervously as he approached and Samantha wondered what was going on. He paused in front of her "Are you Samantha Kincaid?" he stuttered. Curious, Samantha answered "Yes, I am" he nodded and continued nodding, seeming to be unable to stop himself.

She took a moment to watch him, waiting for him to speak again. He was still nodding like one of those bobble-head dolls that they give out at the ball games. She could tell that he was probably her age, maybe a year younger but for some reason he was pretty nervous to be here. There was no immediate danger, she didn't think. According to the woman at the gym the rose must have been left at some time when she and Emma Kate had been out on the track, well over an hour before.

Speaking of Emma Kate, she looked over to where her friend was talking to the other officer. There seemed to be a bit of flirting going on and Samantha smiled.

She turned back to the officer in front of her who was now staring blatantly at her. She gave him a kind smile. Still waiting.

He swallowed loudly again and Samantha could hear a deep voice come through the other end of the phone which seemed to startle him. "Ah, yes sir. Here you go" he held the cell phone out to Samantha. "Ah, Detective McCabe would like to speak with you". Samantha hid her chuckle and took the phone from the unlucky guy "Thank you, Officer" she paused and looked at his name tag "Stevens" and gave him another apologetic smile.

He returned her smile and took a step back.

"Hello" Samantha answered into the telephone.

"Samantha" Adam sighed. "That poor kid can't speak. What the hell are you wearing or what did you say to him?"

"Hey!" she laughed trying to feign insult. "I'm wearing jeans and a sweater, if you must know" Adam laughed. "I should be asking what you said to him. I could hear you yelling"

"I told him to close his mouth and quit staring at my girlfriend and do his job" she glanced over to where Officer Stevens waited for her, shuffling nervously from foot to foot. "Leave the poor guy alone" she quietly chided. She could tell that he was smiling.

"So anything different that I should know?"

"No. We didn't see him. Emma Kate and I have been here for about two hours and I was given the rose as we were leaving. He left it at the reception by the door."

"Okay. Give the phone back to Stevens please, honey. You're going straight home, right?"

This will be good, Samantha thought and braced herself "Emma Kate and I are going to the pub for dinner and a drink before going home. We haven't eaten yet" when Adam started to raise his voice she pulled the phone from her ear and handed it back to Stevens. "For you" she said and walked over to Emma Kate.

While they waited for Stevens to finish talking to Adam the other officer completed their statements and that of the woman working in the gym and said that they could go. Stevens approached, again holding out his cell phone to Samantha, looking sorry for her. His face a nice shade of red. Well, he should be feeling sorry for Detective McCabe right now.

"Hello" she said coldly.

"I'm sorry" came the deep voice on the other end.

"Stevens and Chase will follow you to the pub and then they will follow you and Emma Kate home" Samantha huffed. "Adam, they have better things to do than babysit us".

"Actually no they don't." he snapped. "They're going to follow you to the pub and follow you home or else Jamie and I are going to head over there".

"Can they at least take their dinner break and join us?"

Adam growled.

"Okay, okay. But you and I are not done talking about this, Adam McCabe, so don't think that you are getting your way and this is the end of it."

"That's fine, sweetheart" he growled. "I'll be home around eleven. You can bet that we'll be talking then".

Taking a breath, Samantha tried to calm her temper. She knew that Adam worried about her. "Do you need Officer Stevens again?" she softened her tone.

"Yes, please, Samantha. I'll see you soon."

"Okay. Be careful" she whispered and handed the phone back to Stevens.