[] 4 [] alexander and sierra leones

By the time my research ends, I already have stacks of pages filled with notes. It's messy, completely written lopsidedly and rushed. My ability to read through my lives has enabled me with inhumane reading speed. In no time, I was able to read all through five books. However, it also gave me the habit in writing fast. It's painful for me to write slow.

I lean back, stretching my arms, yawning slightly. From below, I can hear soft footsteps along the wooden floorings of the library. They near, until I hear the persons footsteps stop in the secret room below me.

I hold my breath, knowing there was no way I'd be able to see them. This room was encased with bookshelves. How was I meant to see this person when they could not see me?

I check my watch. It's currently twelve right now. Only a few hours have passed. I lean forward on the table and let my head rest there. Closing my eyes, I hear the soft footsteps fall to a stop as the sound of a chair being scraped back resonated through the room.

I knew instantly that if I was able to hear whoever was there then they would be able to hear me too. I didn't want to be able to reveal this secret room as it was special to me so I lay there, my head resting on the table and my eyes still contentedly closed. I began to breathe softly as the familiar sounds of flipping pages through books and scratching down notes resounded in my ears. It was a comforting feeling. Soon, I began to lull into a peaceful slumber.

I didn't even realize how tired I was until now.

~

Once I wake up, there is a frigid silence in the room. The air around me has become cold and I grab my coat and wrap it around myself.

Checking my watch, it's now close to four in the afternoon. It seems I was sleeping for four hours. I head down into the secret room and exit, the books in my arms and my notes safely stashed into my satchel.

I'm still slightly drowsy as I return the books to their original places in the bookshelves. With my guard down, I didn't even notice when a shadow fell on me as I tried my best to tiptoe and place the last book on the shelf. It's a struggle, as it was way too high for me. The stepladder was currently being used by someone else.

"You look like you need some help," an unfamiliar voice said as they carefully grabbed the book I was holding and put it on the shelf. I let my feet hit the ground and turn around.

The person behind me took a step back and shoved their hands into their pockets, looking at me expectantly. What was staring at me back was a man that looked exactly like the twin version of me. However, they were encased in a hood.

"Valerie," the person I presumed was Alexander, crown prince to the Averlon Kingdom. Seeing him say my name made me relax, as I knew it was him. "It's a nice surprise to see you here."

He looked around, "Where are your guards?"

I shift slightly, "They are... currently outside," I lie. "What about yours, Lex?"

"They're outside too," Alexander says. In the novel, Valerie referred to her brother as Lex, despite his name being Alexander.

My brother in this life raises an eyebrow, "The most strangest thing is," he said. "Was the fact that I had not seen any of your bodyguards. If I had, I would've known you were in the library."

"Truthfully, I have only brought my maid."

"Just one maid?" Alexander asks. I nod in reply. He shakes his head. "Although I won't say anything to father and mother, please remember to take caution next time you do go out. There are many hidden dangers in the kingdom."