Usurp

Chapter 10 - Usurp

—-Location: East District. Paris, France.—Date: Aug 22nd — Time: 0100 hrs—-

Annika grew increasingly worried as she sat next to the foreign Alpha. The clubs music was drowning out their conversation, piercing through the unknowingly tense ambience. She'd been talking to Louis for over an hour now, pretending to be some heartbroken omega with no moral compass.

Louis took the bait swimmingly. Asking her every personal detail under the sun, almost as if he was running through a mental checklist. The other wolves at the table pretended to not be interested in their conversation. Sneaking glances at the pair with an intrigued gleam. She noticed the way their eyes cascaded down her slender body. It was like they were stalking prey.

"Aren't you tired of hiding in the shadows? Letting humans talk down to you like you're some mere house pet?" Louis purred, waving the rest of his pack away from the conversation. With each drink the man chugged down, the more relaxed he became, sinking into the clubs leather chair.

This was it. The moment Annika has been waiting for. The hours of incessant pleasantries finally coming to a close with Louis' discourse.

Annika sighed like she's debating the answer. "All the time but, it's not like we can change that."

"Who says we can't?" Louis sat his drink down on a nearby table and pivoted his legs towards Annika. "What if I told you there was a way out. A way for the supernatural to finally reign supreme?"

"I'm listening...."

"How about you and I get out of here?"

The beat of the fast paced music matched Annika's heart, the dark yet iridescent lights forming the start of a headache in her brain and making her synapses jump like beans in a tin.

She glanced out and across the bar, guaranteeing that her eyes met with Mitch. The forgotten agent would not be happy if she left with Louis. Although they couldn't speak to each other, his face was easily translatable. His scrunched up eyebrows screamed at her to stay put.

The sceptical man had a tendency to coddle her. Handing himself the most dangerous parts of a mission to shield her from any pain. Mitch would pretend that he didn't trust her, but Annika knows that's far from the truth. He did so because he cared.

Mitch wasn't the best at expressing his feelings. From what Annika gathered, it has something to do with his past. The little snippets of information he carelessly threw out that fateful night in Russia aiding in her discovery.

He's lost so much. Annika wanted to stay with him, wanted to hold Mitch in her arms. But she knows the only way for them to successfully complete the mission is to leave him behind. With the bars musty air lingering between the two agents, daring them to say the words left unsaid, Annika nods at Mitch. He would have to let her go.

She turned her head back to Louis, "I'm not usually this easy." She said, pulling her long hair behind her right ear.

Louis chuckled at her statement, looking over at his pack before standing up and brushing off his brown slacks. "The information I am about to present you with can't be discussed in such a crowded place." He holds out his hand to help Annika out of her seat "Do follow me."

—-Location: Unknown. Paris, France.—Date: Aug 22nd — Time: 0213 hrs—-

Louis had taken Annika back to a large house situated somewhere on the outskirts of Paris. Even in the dark she could see the exterior white paint chipping off the walls and floating down onto the green grass. It's ill-maintained facade reeking of trepidation.