𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

The next morning, Alena rose early, having slept very little. When she hadn't been playing the show over in her head, trying to figure out how their 'magic' worked, she had been trying to recall the details of Merritt's expression when he had seen her. She cursed herself for not being able to look at his face for long enough. He would have noticed that. He noticed everything.

Carefully folding her clothes into her suitcase and straightening out her bed, Alena went to the bathroom to do her makeup. Not ten minutes later, there was a knock at the door.

Alena frowned at her reflection in the mirror. She hadn't ordered room service nor called the bell boys to take down her bags.

"Miss Warbeck, this is the FBI. Open up."

Alena's heart gave a harsh squeeze. Thoughts of her papers, every transaction she had made in the past four years, even the smallest laws that she had broken to get to where she was now, crowded into her mind. The question was, which were they here for?

"Miss Warbeck, you have to the count of five, or else we're coming in."

Figuring it would do her no good to resist just yet, Alena fixed her fly-away hairs and went to open the door.

"One!" the FBI agent yelled, preparing to kick down the door.

Alena drew back, glancing between the two suited men in the hall. "Can I help you?" she asked.

"FBI agents Solomon and Morgan." They flashed their badges. "We'd just like to ask you a few questions."

"Just a few questions?" Alena smirked, stepping aside to let them in. "By the way you were going to break that door down, anyone would have thought you'd come to arrest me."

"You done some that warrants arrest, Miss Warbeck?" Agent Solomon was tall, with broad shoulders and a heavy brow.

"Isn't it your job to know that?" Alena inquired, wandering over to the chaise longue but didn't sit down.

Agent Morgan, the shorter man with dirty blonde hair and a handsome smile, chuckled. "Of course, Miss Warbeck. You were at the MGM Grand last night, weren't you?"

"Is that a crime now?"

Solomon huffed. "Just answer the question."

"Yes, I was."

"And you attended the Four Horsemen's show?"

"Yes, I did."

"You were Merritt McKinney's agent for three years, until a year ago, when you left his employment?" said Morgan.

"He fired me, if that's what you mean."

"The two of you must have been close, even living next door to each other for your time of employment."

"That's correct, and thank you, Agent Solomon, for opening up that old wound." It hadn't hurt her, but she knew which direction this interrogation was headed, so Alena wanted to put as much distance between herself and the Horsemen as possible.

"Miss Warbeck, when was the last time you spoke to Mr McKinney?" Morgan asked.

"About a year ago." It seemed pointless to tell them about last night. That would only incriminate her further.

"So you were unaware that these people were planning to rob the bank?"

"You're joking? You don't actually believe that they stole that money?"