Chapter 2

Aspen's POV

       I watched the people down below idly. It seems that a lot more people are comin' into town due to the military academy's exam which was in two days from now. I smell the air and smell a monster locust nearby. Along with a girl around my age. I sigh, knowing I'll have to be a hero and interfere. I run there as quick as I can and see the girl about to slash the monster from above but the monster flutters its wings fast to create a strong wind, blasting the girl away from it. She hits a wall and her saber goes flying from her hand as she lands far from it, facing it because of the way she turned when she hit the wall. She tries to get up and she sees her sword far from her, and the shadow of the monster above her, about to eat her.

      She closes her eyes, expecting to be eaten but I intervene. I jump down and runs towards her, scooping her into my arms as I run towards her sword and away from the monster. Once there's a good distance I stop and face the monster, the girl still in my arms as she slowly opens her eyes. When she sees me she gasps but I don't tear my sight from the monster. I slowly lean over and place her down on the ground, which she soon falls to her knees as soon as I do.                        

        "Stay here. I'll deal with this 'pest'   so it won't be a problem for anyone else" I growl as I take out my other pair of daggers. 

           I can hear the girl gasp when she sees my twin daggers

           I can hear the girl gasp when she sees my twin daggers. I get into position, holding the daggers the wrong way with the sharp sides facing me. I then jump into action, slashing the monster every which way as I run and jump around it too fast for it to see me much less predict my movements. I then land back in front of the girl, facing her, as I put away the daggers. I hold up three fingers and put them down one by one as a countdown. As soon as the last finger is down I hear the monster squeal in pain and agony as it dies, falling apart in miniscule slices from all the slashes I had done in the short amount of time, thanks to my speed. The girl gasps seeing how fast and efficiently I had killed the monster. But I don't pay it any attention as I go and crouch in front of her.                                                                                                                                                                  

            "Are you alright? Your not hurt anywhere right?" I ask her, concerned to if I had made in time or not. She looks at me astonished before shaking her head no frantically.  I give her a kind smile hearing that. 

            "Good. I wouldn't want a pretty girl like yourself to get hurt because I didn't make it in time to help. I'm Aspen. Aspen Wolfsbane. It's nice to meet you my lady" I say, being a little bit flirtatious because I feel like it. She blushes a bit and looks down but then looks back up, looking like she's going to say something but her face changes to one of terror at something behind me. I sniff the air and growl when I smell another monster locust behind me. I go to grab a dagger, turning around, ready to fight once again. Only for Lloyd to come jumping down onto the head of the locust and throw it far away easily. I sigh, relaxing my body as I see the locust fly away, probably far from the city now.

            "Nice timin' there  Lloyd. You got it just in time before it went to chomp on us two" I told him, watching as he turned around, smiling at my praise. He then noticed the girl and went over to her. He introduced himself, then noticed she had gotten dirty before I could rescue her.  He took out his handkerchief and wiped her face off from the dirt. I noticed that it cleaned the belt that had been wrapped around her head tightly. I'm guessing it's a curse of some sorts, and Lloyd had just used his handkerchief which had the seal of disenchantment on it. Which probably broke the curse but the girl will have to discover that on her own by trying to take the belt off. The girl got flustered and embarrassed by the belt and covered her head with her hood, hiding her face.

            Lloyd then turned to me and told me he's running some errands and will see me later. I merely nodded and watched as he went on his way. I then turned to the girl. She was looking at me with a slight blush on her cheeks. I smiled kindly before bowing my head as a sign of goodbye for now. She did the same and I walked out of the alleyway. I saw that the street I had exited on was pretty much bare besides a couple drunks and thugs. I saw some crates not far from me and did my little trick from earlier. I ran at the crates, jumped up them and onto them, then jumped up and grabbed the railing of a building. I then swung myself up backwards, landing on my feet.

          I then ran off from that location at a moderate pace. I still needed to see the rest of the capital after all. As I ran off though, I didn't notice something. I didn't notice the man in the military uniform who saw what I had done and was now watching me.