Chapter 19 - Mine for one night

Adelina's pov:

- "And how am I supposed to do it?" I asked Chris surprised.

-"I do not know. Just go closer to him and let the bond do the rest... "

-"That's the plan? Really now? It must have taken you a long time to think about it "I told him sarcastically.

-"You don't have to be so ironic. Do you have anything else to suggest?"

-"It wasn't exactly my plan attempting to wake Maximus up you know ..... So no, I do not have anything to propose cause I believe that the whole idea is nuts" I responded in a sassy way.

-"The little cat showed her claws. I didn't expect you to be so argumentative. Interesting!" he said with a wide smile.

-"I am a wolf not a cat. If I were you, I would be more careful with characterizations" I talked back annoyed crossing my arms.

He laughed at my antics and approached Maximus' bed. I followed behind. He sat on the left side of the bed while I sat on the right. I was looking at Maximus' body as he was standing there unconscious. I could not bear to see him like this: so fragile and vulnerable. After taking a deep breath and getting organized, I managed to ask Chris the coveted question that tormented me for the last few minutes.

-"And now what, Mr. I know it all"?

-"Take his hand, caress him, tell him some love words, give him a kiss, I don't know do whatever mates do. Just make the bond work" he told me.

-"Love words, kiss? Really what's wrong with you?" I said disgusted.

- "Ok then, just tell him some nice words...Instead of criticizing all the time, do something!" he scolded.

-"Give me some seconds to think of something"

-"Ok. I will leave you alone. Have a goodnight".

-" Wait...where are you going?" I wondered.

-"The room has only one armchair and I get very grumpy in the morning if I do not sleep well at night. So goodnight kitten" he said and winked at me.

- "Hmm kitten? Really? You never learn don't you? Whatever.....Goodnight Mr. Grumpy".

Chris gave me a disapproving look and left the room. I could say that he felt very uncomfortable with the whole situation as I if I felt better ......! In addition, he had pinned all his hopes on me and the bond. I don't think his plan will eventually work. Anyway it doesn't cost me anything to try. I am gonna give it a chance. After all, this is the first time I can be completely alone with Maximus and do what I always wanted without being offended or ignored. He will be completely at my mercy.

I took his hand and stroked his cheek. Sparks began to appear all over my body when I touched him. A sweet feeling flooded me while butterflies filled my stomach. Unfortunately he didn't seem to react at all to my touch. Oh my goddess. Thoughts flooded my mind. Questions I have been dying to ask him since I met him. "Why couldn't we be real mates? Instead of behaving like two complete strangers, we should stay together, share the same house, the same bed. Share our dreams and worries. We should do things together like go to the movies or go on a weekend getaway or a romantic candlelit dinner and stargazing or just hanging out watching Netflix. We should laugh and make fun of each other, argue and then reconcile and make love. We should support each other in every difficulty and celebrate every joy that will appear in our lives. We should dream of our future, our children. Why did you deprive us of all this, Maximus? Why? You weren't sure if it would work. Maybe it would be. Why did you reject us before you even gave us a chance to try? Why?"

I blew some air and started crying sitting next to him all night, stroking his hair and imagining the life we ​​would live if Maximus had accepted our bond. I cried a lot that night. I cried for the life I will never live with him, until I fell asleep in the armchair.

The next morning I woke up holding his hand and I felt really great even though I slept in the armchair all night. I guess at least the bond is somewhere useful. Unfortunately, Maximus was in the same situation as yesterday. Chris's expectations turned out to be out of this world, but I made an effort and I am satisfied with myself. I am OK with my conscience even though I didn't achieve anything. I firmly believe that Maximus will recover soon. Doctors will find a way to make him well eventually. He does not need me. Actually he never did.

I got up, did my hair, put on my shoes and got ready to leave. I approached his face, bent down and gave him a kiss on the lips. This was my last kiss and also my last attempt to make our bond work. Even if he wakes up one day and changes his mind by deciding to give us a chance, I have already made my decision. I cannot base my life on a bond that is completely useless and a mate that prefers others than me. After all, it is the emotions of the people that count.

And I knew from the beginning, that Maximus felt nothing for me other than repulsion and indifference. Sadly he still does.... That's why I have to go ahead and bury my feelings for him, rebuild my life and try to be happy again.

-"I hope you'll recover soon and you will be able to find happiness in your life. Goodbye..... mate" I whispered in his ear and got up.

I took one last look at him as he slept soundly and headed for the door. I opened it, greeted the guards and fell on Chris who was waiting in the hallway. He looked exhausted. It was obvious that he had not slept well last night. Maybe now the armchairs look more comfortable to him than yesterday.

-"Well? What happened?" he asked in agony.

- "Good morning to you too Beta. I thought that sleeping in the armchair made you grumpy. I suppose those chairs were more comfortable than the armchair, am I wrong?" I commented sarcastically.

-"Please Adelina spare me the irony. I'm not in the mood. Has he woken up?" he asked me anxiously.

-"I am sorry to disappoint you Beta, but no he hasn't. Your expectations were too high" I answered sadly.

-"But...... but why? You are mates! The bond should have done something to him. You stayed by his side all night. It should have had a positive effect on his health, it should have woken him up or at least he should have gotten better by now" he said angrily.

-"Everything you said is just speculations and not the reality. I'm really sorry to disappoint you, but as I told you before, your expectations were very high from the beginning" I reasoned.

- "But ...but the bond...the mates' thing...you know..... it... can do anything. It can do ... wonders!" he exclaimed disappointingly.

- " aybe ... if both of them have fully accepted it and you know that in our situation this never happened," I told him sadly and continued "I'm sorry, Chris. I really did my best, but please have faith in our Goddess. I firmly believe that he is going to recover soon. He is very strong. He won't disappoint us! Don't forget that our doctors are the most capable and trained doctors in whole North America! Do not despair. I know I won't" I told him and put my hand on his.

-"Yes.. yes ... I suppose you are right" he said frustrated.

I abruptly broke our contact when I look at my watch. It was already 8:55. My work started at approximately 5 minutes.

-"I am sorry but I am late at work. Need to go. If you need anything do not hesitate to call me. Goodbye!"

-"Thanks. Have a nice day and take care of yourself" he said defeated. He was clearly very disappointed. All his hopes were already dashed.