17 | A Lady Should

Tennis no Oujisama © Konomi Takeshi, Shuheisha, Inc

Even though the asphalt road was still dampened by the rain, she felt like a fairy hopping from one flower to another

Even though the asphalt road was still dampened by the rain, she felt like a fairy hopping from one flower to another. Euphoria was flowing from her chest to every vein in her body. She turned her body as she followed the path to the right, then walking through the high wall until she reached her destination.

The security greeted her, congratulating her for being a senior high-schooler, which she bowed down to in ballerina style. When she entered the manor, he was already standing near the stairs in all his glory, smiling at her. Hikari turned her body around again to show off her uniform before ending her sequence with a curtsy.

"I have to admit you look... beautiful in your new uniform," he said while clapping his hands. Clearly, it looked like he was out of breath.

"Aren't you supposed to be disappointed?" She followed him to the court.

"I am. But in the end, you were the one that has to... choose." He hooked his fingers on the wire mesh fence door, pushing it open for her.

Hikari raised her brows upon seeing him panting. The aroma of the musky body shower was vague and his hair was slightly dampened. "Why are you panting? Was showering supposed to be that tiring?"

"I... just have many things to do... before..." He finally slumped on the bench, taking a deep breath then exhaled an exhausted sigh.

"You know. I think I'd better go home and let you rest." She was about to turn around but he grabbed her wrist.

"Stay." When she sat back, he put his arm on the chair behind her back. "Tell me about your first day."

Hikari gleefully did so. What she liked the most about talking to him was that he fully paying attention to her, treating her like someone whose words must be listened to instead of treating her like a child. Aside from him, only one person did that which was why she felt an immense curiosity for both of them.

"Why are they asking your brother's sexuality of all questions?" He cynically snorted.

"Oh, that..." She chuckled. "There was a time when he had a German language exam so he was reciting a classical poem in his head. He accidentally said 'I love you' when he was facing his best friend." Hikari laughed at the end of her story but she didn't expect him to laugh so much that he bent his body forward and slapped his knee—so much that it sounded almost like he was so thrilled that her brother did that kind of mistake. "That incident raised the question though nobody dares to directly ask him about it."