C. 9

Melissa sat at a table in the coffee shop, waiting for Steve. Since her meltdown, there's been a comfortable sense of understanding, but then an awkwardness hanging over them both because both of them know that in time, sooner or later Steve will apply again. Steve had left it a while not wanting Melissa to be upset again, but itching to re-apply. Comfortably sat in the corner of the shop, Melissa was drawing. She always was a creative person and lately got back into her old hobby. Currently, she had been working on a sketch of James. She missed him. There was no denying that. It was a fact. Signing and slouching back in the chair, Melissa glared at the paper. She was not capturing the moment properly, and it frustrated her. She ran her hand through her blonde hair.

She reached out for the hot chocolate and felt the warmth radiate against her face. She took a long sip, not think that it's HOT chocolate. She was too focused on the drawing, glaring daggers at it, that she burnt the inside of her mouth. She quickly put the mug down and waved her hand in front of her mouth. "Like that's gonna help," she thought. She calmed down and waited a few seconds. The pain didn't stop, but her tongue didn't throb so much. "Bloody idiot" she muttered to herself. Looking back at the mug, she saw the smudge of pale pink lipstick.

Attempt after attempt, Melissa finally was pleased with one piece. It wasn't the best but it was better than the rest, which now lay all crinkled where she punched them into tiny balls. A little pile of them on the table beside the piece she was holding now. "I think this is by far the best drawing you've done" she heard Steve say beside her.

"Yeah think?" She asked slightly disbelieving.

"Of course, you also caught that little spark in his eyes," he said point g to the highlighted part in the eyes. She was glad Steve picked up on that because the eyes were where she tried her hardest on. Catching the emotion right. Looking down, she smiled "Yeah, your right," she said proudly.

"Take a seat" she offered standing up "just give me a sec, I gotta put all this in a bin," she said referring to the piles of scrunched up paper

Walking back over to the table she asked "do you still draw?"

"Occasionally when I have the time or have the inspiration," Steve said.

Melissa touched the now slight warm mug and smiled. The hot chocolate was cold meaning she wouldn't burn her tongue or mouth now. She stirred the hot chocolate before downing the drink. "Haha no more burnt mout- wait we chocolate lump. Come on I stirred that" she grumbled jokingly. Steve looked up amused. "Don't say it" Melissa warned.

" You're really annoyed over a drink?" He laughed.

"Not just any drink and evil drink," she said, realising she just came up with the worst excuse ever.

"Alright alright. Do I even wanna know why it's evil"

Leaning forward, a smirk tugging at her lips she rested her chin on her hands ready to explain " Funny story really Well not funny but it burnt me. That's why it's evil"

"It burnt you?"

Melissa nodded and Steve couldn't help the laugh that escaped his lips.

"It's not funny!"

"I know I know," Steve said trying to cover up his laugh with a cough.

"Then why are you laughing?" Melissa said fighting back her laugh.

"Because it is funny" Steve laughed.

After a little while, the pair were laughing and chatting. Talking about anything and everything.
"James wrote back to me actually," Melissa says putting her mug down with a new hot chocolate. "Say food ain't that good, soldiers are disgusting, weather is horrible, told me to be careful with Howard because the guy's "shady", how he doesn't want you to go to war and see what he's seen because "it ain't pretty" and that when he comes back he wants Mum's bread. He always has loved that recipe" I say smiling towards the end of my sentence. I took another sip of hot chocolate.

"See this hot chocolate is nice, ain't burnt me once. Whereas the other one was evil" I laugh.

"Really bring that back? Perhaps you were too intrigued drawing you forgot it's called HOT chocolate for a reason"

"Ok ok It was my own fault I wasn't paying attention," I said.