A Promise of Secrets

Joy spread warmth to my cold limbs when my eyes caught the face hidden beneath the wild nest of jet-black hair.

"Koa!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms around his broad neck in an overwhelming embrace. "I didn't think you were supposed to be back for another two weeks!"

His wide shoulders muffled my voice. He smelled like coal and smoke, but beneath all that, I still recognized the scent of my childhood friend.

"They let me go home a little earlier than expected," Koa explained and pulled me closer.

I allowed myself to enjoy the moment for a few seconds before I pulled back to look at him.

It had been months since I'd last seen him. It was a wonderful surprise to find him at our doorstep so soon, but even in this dim light, I could see he'd lost weight.

His cheeks were hollow, and his jawbones looked even sharper than usual. His messy hair had grown past his bushy eyebrows, almost hiding his dark eyes.

Spots of soot and dirt stained his pale face, and the black locks were probably hiding even more filth than I could see.

A Miner's job wasn't glorious. It wasn't even decent, but I'd at least expected them to be adequately fed. They needed proper nutrition to perform the way they were expected to. At least, I thought so.

I didn't want to ruin the nice moment with my questions. I'd have time for that later.

Mom's second son was home, and they were still sitting, unaware, in the kitchen.

I grabbed Koa's soiled hand and dragged him through the living room toward the dining table.

His skin felt rough and scarred underneath the dirt. The feeling made my stomach cramp and my eyebrows curl.

A series of images flashed before my eyes, forcing me to imagine the worst possible scenarios of what Koa could be going through on a regular day in the Mines.

"Look who I found!" I exclaimed, pushing Koa in front of me.

"Big Brother Koa!" Tristan shouted, an excited smile growing on his face as he climbed down from his chair. He nearly turned the entire table upside down in his quest to reach Koa.

"Where have you been?" Tristan asked, raising his arms for Koa to pick him up. "I lost another tooth. See."

Tristan grabbed his lower lip and pulled it down to expose the cavity of his missing tooth.

I chuckled as Koa finally picked him up.

"I'm sorry, Little Guy," Koa said, grunting as he adjusted Tristan to sit comfortably, "but I have to work so I can take care of my own family."

His words made my heart ache with guilt.

I'd known Koa my entire life, and I'd never seen him break that tough exterior in front of anyone other than me. Not once.

Koa's dad left them half a year before Koa reached the age of thirteen. Koa then became the man of the household, responsible for the lives of a broken mother and his three younger sisters.

Ania hadn't been dealing so well with the unannounced disappearance of her husband. Not even Mom — Ania's best friend — hadn't been able to pull her from the grave she'd buried herself in. Koa, however, had refused to give up.

He'd stayed by her side through countless nights of endless screaming.

Ania had blamed herself for the loss of her husband because she hadn't been able to give him what he truly wanted: a child that could make everything in their lives better — a child like me.