The Dark Prince- Part 1

The room the Prince stood in had an amber glow, a wide bed with a comforter that felt like the clouds, a bookshelf that was big enough to be called a library and a huge mirror that overlooked the whole space.

He was staring at himself, like he usually did, wondering what crown matched his outfit the best. The Prince knew he was gorgeous, with a straight nose, big pink lips, narrow cheekbones and a strong jaw. Even if he didn't know he was good looking, the women he took to bed almost every night would convince him otherwise.

He made sure to choose the best bed mates. Women of high class, women who were always poised, classy and had enough sass to intrigue him. They would of course have to be naturally gifted with curves and a beautiful face. He was a picky man, but he knew his type. His type? Women that were good enough for him and his status. He'd never really had true feelings for a woman, though.

How could he not think like this? He father was the same, only respected the women who had value in this unequal society. He would never say it aloud because he loved his mother, but she was a woman he knew his father could use and manipulate easily and this is the reason why his father stayed with her. He never saw his father's eyes shine with real love, not like his mothers, who were always glowing when she caught his father in her sights. She was terribly in love with a man who had never loved anyone but himself.

Since he had turned 21 a week and a half ago, the pressure to take a bride, along with the thrown had grown immensely. Both his mother and father wanted him to be on the thrown and have the next generation on the way. The only problem was, he didn't want to take a bride he didn't love. He never said that to his father, as he would be scrutinized for being such a romantic.

He could admit, it was a bit strange to want to find love like he did. After all, he was a man. But he couldn't help himself. Every time he sees his mother's eyes light up as she looks at his father, he wonders what it's like to feel that. He wonders what its like to be loved like that. He feels bad that his father has never felt that for her. He wanted to feel it but he didn't know how. Could he make it happen? Was he able to choose who to love but didn't know how? He wished he was taught these things growing up. Feelings were quite a foreign thing for him.

Just as he was putting on his gold crown, there was a knock on the thick wooden framed door.

"You may enter." His deep voice echoed through the room.

A little old maid came into the room, her head down and eyes averted from the prince. It was considered extremely disrespectful for someone of her low status to look into the eyes of someone of his high status. It did not help that she was also a woman. They were not allowed to look men in the eyes unless they had permission, were family or were married to that man. "Hello sir," she quickly bowed to show her deep respect, "the king has chosen another maid for you, so I have now been summoned to serve him and the new maid will now be under your control."

The Prince grunted, "Fine. Whatever, just make sure you tell her how I like my clothes washed and my bed made. You may leave." He let her go with a flick of his wrist and the, started to adjust his crown.

The old maid bowed again, "Thank you sir, she will be arriving soon to clean your room" With that she took her leave.

The prince had a reputation for being rude, but not cruel. He could admit he was it spoilt because he didn't know any better. He had never had any respect for anyone under his high status, and genuinely believed that they were less than him. What is the point in him wasting his time being kind to people lesser than him? He didn't have it in him to be cruel or physically harm a woman of lower status though. He felt they should be protected even if they didn't deserve his respect. His father had hurt his mother before, and he swore he has never heard something worse than a woman's cry for help.