ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ: ɴᴇᴘᴇɴᴛʜᴇ

【1.02】

02】

(n.) something that can make you forget grief or suffering

♡♡♡

When Leslie would strum his instrument, Isabella and I would read, or sleep, or dance together. And as the years flew by, I fixated more and more on the girl beside me, rather than the impending doom in front of me.

It was different around her- compared to when I was by myself. Quickly, we became inseparable. Whatever book I was reading, she was at my elbow, leaning her head on my shoulder. Together, we would take in the words. I would only turn the page once her eyes had finished reading the text. I would read slower, so she wouldn't feel rushed.

When Isabella would join the other children in tag, I would reluctantly follow. I preferred to hide in the forest because if I was found, my lack of cardio exercise would lead to my capture. Isabella took notice and would run near me. If she was the tagger, she would turn a blind eye to my shuffling in the trees, and chase another kid instead. She never allowed me to be the first out.

I didn't magically transform into the social butterfly that Isabella was, but I was no longer a stranger in my own household. Children would greet me in the mornings, and kiss my cheek goodnight. I couldn't deny the warmth that gathered in my chest as I familiarized myself with my family. Despite my growing popularity, no one took Isabella's place. She was always my partner in crime.

Before myself, Isabella had Leslie. Leslie was pleasant but delicate. Like a daisy. He spent most winters bundled up inside, and little bruises and cuts littered his freckled legs. He was quick to illness. Regardless of his passive attitude, he wasn't willing to give up Isabella. The two of us were always competing for her attention. But in our own way, we became close friends. He was truly a brother to me.

I felt guilty getting so close to the two, actually. I kept two small calendars under the mattress of my bed, their twelfth birthdays were X'd out in red ink. I knew mother wouldn't be sending Isabella out before she was of age. I wasn't so sure when it came to Leslie. My adoption date was irrelevant. I was the youngest of the three and had the best grades.

Beside me, I felt Isabella's head move away from my shoulder. I glanced at her: she was hiding her mouth with her hands, and her cheeks were dusted a light rose. I questioned her behavior, but she just shook her head. I reread the page in front of us, after all, I hadn't really been paying close attention. As I skimmed the text, my eyes landed on what I believed to be the culprit of her behavior.

"...darling lover, the most charming of all..."

My brows knitted, and I read the line aloud. She buried her head further- cheeks now a blazing burgundy. I allowed myself a sly grin.

"Oh, does Isabella get flushed over romance?"

I poked her arm, consequently, she slapped it away.

"I do not" Isabella protested. Her hands were away from her face now and crossed on her chest. Her cheeks had died down in color, she wasn't looking me in the eye. I stifled a laugh.

"Oh I think she does, darling"

Isabella let out a quiet screech and covered her face again, eyes included this time. I was howling now, my laughs boomed in the quiet library. Isabella was never flustered. Not when she was scolded by mother, not when Leslie hugged her, not when the wind flipped her skirt up by accident. After years by her side, I had thought it an impossible feat. To be proven wrong was an absolute victory in my eyes.

"Darling Isabella. Darling, darling Isabella" I teased.

"Please don't make a thing of this" she had composed herself, but her cheeks remained rosy.

"Oh, you know I will. I'm not forgetting this until I'm dead"

"I'll kill you myself" she grumbled. She stood up and closed the book we were reading, I caught a quick glance at the owl on the cover's back.

"Can you do my hair tonight? It's been bothersome lately" she uses her hands to pull her hair behind her shoulders. I agree, of course, and we walk to my bedroom. Isabella's hair was her pride and joy. Most mornings, I walked into her room as she delicately combed through the ebony strands. Throughout the day, she would finger singular strands and comb through the back. As Isabella matured, her hair grew thicker. She found it increasingly difficult to handle. Ponytail holders would tangle in it, and throwing her hair in a bun would make her scalp ache. Tonight, I had chosen to offer a solution.

"Braids?" she questioned.

"Just one. It will keep your hair back during the day, without tangling it too much, and keep it healthy and situated at night" I said. She pondered my suggestion and shrugged her shoulders.

"Might as well try it" she decided. The two of us sat on my bed, herself in front of me. I silently combed through the soot-black tresses; her shoulders relaxed. As Isabella dozed off, I worked meticulously. Carefully intertwining each strand with the next.

"Finished" I announced. I received no response.

Placing my hands on her back, I move forward to look at her face. Recognizing her to be asleep, I slowly moved her body down the bed, and head atop the pillow. I did my best to lift her gently, and carry her to her bedroom, it was late now- I wouldn't run into any others. I still had to be brisk, however, as Isabella wasn't as light as the younger kids.

Since Isabella, I had politely told my mother that I would no longer assist her with the babies. The old hag fended well enough on her own, and I had better things to do. Despite this, I still loved the young kids. I feel Isabella shift in my arms, and I quickened my pace. I placed her down on her bed as if she were fine china. Her face was serene, and I found myself relishing the fact that she was asleep- it was difficult to appreciate her features when she was awake. I did not want to be caught staring.

Quietly returning to my room, I fabricated a clear-cut goal. I would not let Isabella die, not while I was alive and well.

♡♡♡

【Vault】

✘ Isabella's continued to wear braids throughout her youth

✘ Mother missed when (y/n) would come in to help, she didn't need it, but the company was nice.

✘ Isabella and (y/n) have read about half of the library together, but individually, (y/n) has knocked out about three-fourths. She has lied about reading certain books just so she could reread them with Isabella.

♡♡♡

WC: 1091

You guys get a surprise chapter because my family is doing literally nothing this weekend. Also, hello to my 27 viewers :))) The highlight of my day has been checking the demographics to see if there's been any change. At the moment, 50% of the readers are in the US, and 25% are in both Mexico and South Korea! I'm happy to be writing for you all <3

Current concerns:

- I feel like i'm repeating words a lot. Such as: and, become, quick (all variants). Is anyone else picking up on that?

Kisses, hugs and all that lovey-dovey shit,

rem

(ps. expect my author's notes to be less structured and slightly more chaotic from now on)