ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ: ᴀʙɪᴇɴᴄᴇ

【2.03】

03】

(n.) the strong urge to avoid someone or something 

♡♡♡

Pure horror. That's what his face communicated. Somehow, someway, Leslie's lullaby meant something to Ray. According to him, he heard it from his mother. His dear mother, Isabella. Mother Isabella was the last thing I had expected. I swear by it, my heart almost stopped when it slipped from his lips. I couldn't conceal the pure shock (and terror) that had flashed across my features. So minutes later, there I was: being interrogated by a preteen. I kept a finger firmly on my wrist, checking to make sure my heart was still beating.

"So you...knew her?" More than anyone.

"Yes."

"Were you friends?" The best of.

"No. We weren't close or anything."

"So how do you know the song?" It wasn't just us two.

"We slept in the same room. She used to hum it before going to bed every night. It's become a habit of mine as well. It reminds me of when I was content." Liar. It reminds you of her. I squirm. The kids encircling me are mostly unaffected. Jemima rolls over in my lap, but that's about it.

I look around at the small crowd, and do my best to mask the feeling of an arrow going straight through my heart. Isabella is alive, and these are her children. I swallow the lump in my throat.

"Is that all?" I query.

"Yes." Ray lays on his side and closes his eyes. I close mine as well, but I don't catch a wink of sleep. Every single time I think I'm over her...

I was fine lying to Ray last night. Answers that weren't true slipped out so easily. It's not like it matters. In a few days, these children will leave, then I'll go home. I'm not going to deny that I enjoyed their company while it lasted, but I'll be fine once they leave.

"Hey, (y/n), can you help me reach that jar on the shelf?" Little Jemima hasn't left me alone since I've arrived. Her and the rest of the young kids seem glued to my side. They're not this way with Sonju or Mujika, why am I different?

"Sure thing. This jar?" I point to a glass jar filled with medicinal herbs.

"Yes!" She reaches out her hands. I give it to her, and tell her to be careful. She nods, and thanks me. Her little feet pitter-patter on the floor as she runs to meet the other kids, who are learning basic first aid.

"They've taken a liking to you" Sonju is leaning against the wall behind me. It has always amazed me how quiet he is.

"Unfortunately." I reply. He hums.

"Mujika is going to ask you to accompany them to their shelter." My eyes go wide.

"What? Why?"

"Something about 'living a little'. I just wanted to warn you beforehand." I purse my lips and nod at him.