5 - school project

I stood up, grabbing my bag, "no worries! It was my idea to meet up after practice!"

He slung his own bag over his shoulder, "how was cheerleading try-outs?"

"Good, I think. I'll find out if I made the team later on."

We ended up going back to my house since it was quiet as my dad was at work.

I gestured for him to sit down, "make yourself at home, can I get you anything? Water? A snack?"

"Water would be great, thanks."

I nodded and went to the kitchen to get us both a glass of water.

When I came back in, I handed Suga his water before joining him on the floor, sitting with my legs crossed.

He slightly furrowed his eyebrows, "what happened there?"

I followed his line of sight down to my knee that was covered by a plaster.

"Oh, nothing serious. Some first year bases were still getting the hang of prep into cradle and accidentally dropped me, it's just a graze though, my back spot caught me before I hit the ground properly, so no harm done."

He paused for a moment before awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck, "uh, I don't really know what exactly all of that means, but I'm glad you're okay."

I chuckled, "thanks. Anyway, let's get started on this project."

We had been working for about two hours when I huffed and leaned back into my elbows, "I'm starving, I'm gonna order take out- anything in particular you'd like, Suga?"

"Oh, it's alright, don't waste your money."

I shook my head, "don't worry, my dad left out money for food. What are you in the mood for?"

When our food arrived, I brought it over to where we were working and handed Suga a pair of chopsticks, "I kinda just got a bunch of everything, eat as much as you want."

He thanked me for the food, before tucking in.

*ding*

I quickly grabbed my phone, expecting a text from the captain.

Akaashi: Hope tryouts went well. Let me know when you find out that you made the team.

"The cheer team?"

I shook my head, placing my phone back down, "I'll answer him later."

He raised an eyebrow, "that your boyfriend?"

I chuckled, "nah, I don't have a boyfriend, that's just my brother's friend."

"You must have friends from all over the country since you move around so much."

"No, not really. I make friends but then I leave and we fall out of touch most of the time."

He hesitated momentarily before continuing, "sorry about my teammates earlier, they see a pretty girl and they get super excited."

I raised an eyebrow at him and chuckled, "it's cool. Oh, yeah! Did you get many first years other than those troublemakers sign up for the team?"

He leaned back onto his palms, "yeah, there were two others, they're pretty promising from the looks of it."

*ding*

Yuki: Congratulations! You've made the team!

Your application to join the stunt team as a flyer has been approved. Please reply to this message with your clothing measurements for uniform purposes.

Practice will take place after school from 3:30pm-5:30pm. We look forward to seeing you there!

I grinned, looking over and Suga and singing, "guess who made the cheer team!"

His grin mirrored mine and he patted my shoulder, "that's amazing, Nakano, well done!"

That's when I noticed his smile- even though I was smiling first, his was so contagious, so wholesome.

"You know, Suga, you have a really lovely smile."

His eyes slightly widened for a split second before he rubbed the back of his neck and awkwardly chuckled, "thanks, you have a lovely smile, too."

"Thanks," I quickly checked the time, "it's getting pretty late, we should probably call it a night- I'll walk you home."

He held out his hands in protest, "oh, no, don't worry, there's no need for that. I'll be fine, I only live a couple of blocks away."

I shrugged, "it's no big deal, I'll bring my bike and-"

"Y/N! I'm home!"

I sighed before yelling, "hey, dad!"

As he made his way over, he glanced between Suga and myself, but before he could make any assumptions, I quickly explained, "dad, this is my friend, Suga, he's my partner for my Modern Japanese project at school; we're just finishing up for tonight."

Suga immediately stood up and bowed to my father, "it's a pleasure to meet you, sir."

My dad laughed, patting Suga on the shoulder, "how about we drop you home, boy? It's pretty late; come on, we'll give you a lift." He didn't give Suga a moment to respond before he turned to me, "Y/N, go and get your jacket on."

I sat in the back with Suga as my dad tried his best to converse with him, "so, Suga, was it?"

"Yes, sir."

"Y/N tells me you're on the volleyball team, what position do you play?"

"I'm a setter, sir."

I glanced over at Suga and he looked pretty tense- I didn't blame him, my dad is lovely, but you can definitely tell he's in the military, on top of that, he has tattoos all down both sleeves, so people would usually perceive him as threatening to an extent- though, in reality, he's a softie.

"A setter, eh? Isn't Akaashi a setter, too, Y/N?"

I shrugged, "yeah, I think so."

Suga then asked, "do you play volleyball yourself, sir?"

My dad chuckled, "nah, I've been to a few of Y/N's older brother's games- he's one of the top five aces in the country, you know?"

Suga turned to me, "woah, that's amazing!"

I playfully groaned, "Don't say that to his face, I don't think his ego can stand to get any bigger."