5. The Return

Mary and her party had been sailing for two days, travelling up the right side of the island after being refused safe passage through England. The young Queen is kneeling on the deck at the back of the ship, staring at England's coast as David and her ladies in waiting are sleeping in the cabin. The waves are rough, causing the vessel to rock sideways, but Mary is focused on the sunrise hovering over the coast's skyline. She has a blanket wrapped around her to keep warm from the brisk winds of the sea. Bothwell also stayed awake all night, and makes his way towards her from the other side of the ship and stands beside her. 
"This country is quite different from France. But don't worry, I'll help you stay in power over your brother and his lords" he tells her, facing towards the coast as well. Mary looks to him appreciating his support.
"What is my brother like?" she asks, having never met him.
"He has your fathers' ambition – he thrives of control and he has the support of many nobles. It might be difficult asserting your birth right, but you must show him that you've come back to claim your throne!" he tells her. 
"And what of the religious situation?" she replies, looking to him. "I'm told Scotland has reformed in the new church which I cannot convert to. How will I rule people who worship a different faith?"
"They don't have to know. Keep it to yourself and let them attend their protests. Practice tolerance by being tolerant!" he advises her. 
Mary listens to his advice and continues staring at the English coast. "Do you think my cousin will embrace us eventually? I hoped we might start on good terms."
"You should rightfully be ruling England too, so of course she will consider you a threat. Never allow your claim to be weakened!" he tells her.
"If she is willing to name me her successor, we can avoid the expense of war" she replies.
"It is unlikely she will produce an heir. Word has it she refuses to let any man get close to her. If you marry and produce an heir, you will be two steps ahead." Bothwell informs her. "I would be willing to help in that regard." 
Mary looks to him surprised. "What are you suggesting? If this is what Scottish men are like, I may as well follow her example and never marry" she laughs wittingly. 
"You will have difficulty finding another man so willing to protect his Queens daughter. I served your mother with all my heart, and when the English killed her it made me determined to avenge her by serving you." he tells her with sincerity, looking into her eyes.
Mary smiles. "I'm grateful to have you by my side. My mother always wrote fondly of you in her letters to me. But it is too early to discuss marriage when I have yet to settle back home. Re-establishing my kingdom will be our main priority now. Where do we arrive?" she asks, deflecting from the subject she was not comfortable discussing having just been widowed. 
"We will arrive at Leith docks in Edinburgh in approximately three hours. Your brother and privy councillors will be awaiting our arrival!" he responds.
The Queen spent the rest of the journey preparing her garments and changing with assistance from her ladies in waiting. She chose a puffy white satin dress decorated with beads and doves, as well as a white flower headpiece and furry overcoat due to the cold air she had not been exposed to across the sea. She wanted to make a good initial impression on the Scottish people and her council, and arrive fashionably. After she had been fully dressed, David gazed at her in awe admiring her elegance. 
"This is the most beautiful I have ever seen you, madam!" he shouts from the other side of the ship with a beaming smile. Mary smiles back in appreciation before Bothwell steps in front of him with a serious look on his face.
"I advise you watch how you act in court. The Scottish lords don't take well to your kind. Keep it on the down low, and you will thank me for telling you this." he tells him firmly.
David nods nervously in agreement, now anxious about his arrival in Scotland and how he would be received. He decided he would only act as the Queen's secretary in private, and not interfere with Scottish politics in the council. As the vessel turned towards land and approached the Leith docks, he stood behind the Queen with her other ladies to let her take centre on her special day. As the ship docked, Mary noticed a large gathering on horseback on the road behind the harbour, and waved wearing her white glove. Her brother, leading in front of the gathering, waved back before they made their way towards the port to greet her. She held onto David's arm as they walked down the stairs off the ship. As she stepped on Scottish ground, her bearded brother jumped of his horse and walked towards her wearing black leather garments. He kneeled before her and took her hand.
"My dear sister" he said before kissing it. "It's good to have you home, we have long awaited your return". 
Mary smiles to him. "It's wonderful to finally meet you, my brother" she says before looking to David. "This is my advisor, David Rizzio" she says, introducing him to her brother. 
"Lord James" he says before bowing his head.
"Is that an Italian accent I hear?" James asks looking surprised. David looks to Mary, not knowing how to appropriately respond. 
"Yes, he has been a loyal friend of mine and it is important he is made welcome here!" she says, speaking up for him.
"Of course!" James responds. "I only hope you will have no trouble getting used to the cold weather here!" he says smiling, eager to make a favourable impression. 
"I can certainly feel the air of the sea. It's nice though!" Mary responds as she greets the members of the Privy Council that rode with James. "Have our cavalry been brought?" she asks. 
"Yes, your majesty, I'll bring your horses to you!" he says before instructing his assistants to collect their belongings from the ship onto the carriage. 
As Mary, David and her ladies in waiting jump on their horses, Lord Bothwell turns to address her brother. "I will keep watching you like a hawk. Don't try any of your power games with this young girl, she has suffered enough in France!" He instructs him. "You are no longer regent while the Queen is here". 
Lord Moray lets out a sarcastic laugh. "It sounds like someone feels threatened. My sister can never marry someone like you with no title to offer. She will marry an English lord to form an alliance with Elizabeth!" he tells him. Bothwell did not trust Moray, as he knew he often communicated with the English court in secret and provided them with information. He knew he had to watch him now more than ever, as not being able to rule as regent would make his ambition grow stronger. 
Bothwell rode beside Mary on the other side of her brother as they travelled to Holyrood through the crowds gathered on the Royal Mile. The people of the city welcomed their Queen with open arms as they smiled and waved, admiring her beauty of which tales would soon spread round the country. She stopped to speak to members of the public and greet them, eager to inspire kindness and warmth so that they could know their Queen on a personal level. She embraced their welcoming, and was happy to receive a warm reception. As she approached St Giles Chapel, she was stopped by a woman dressed in black with a rosemary cross around her neck. Mary looked at her curiously as she lifted a bouquet of Scottish thistles for her to take. 
"Welcome back to Scotland, my Queen. I'm Anne, Countess of Huntly, and this is my son John" she says, looking to the young man standing behind her. 
Mary looks to him and smiles as he walks towards her and bows his head.
"Welcome, my Queen. Tales of your beauty were not exaggerated" he says, hoping to win her approval. 
Mary is charmed and taken back by his handsome appearance. "What an honour it is to meet you, and all the Huntly family. My mother enjoyed your company, and you are most certainly still welcome in our court!" she says.
"You have many catholic friends remaining who refuse to convert to the new religion!" says a tall bearded man standing among the group of Catholics. 
"This is my husband, George, the Earl of Huntly. He can provide you many catholic allies from the north if you ever need them!" Anne tells her.
Mary smiles happily. "I am grateful for your loyalty. Come, join me at Holyrood and we will discuss our future together!"
The catholic gathering rejoices in celebration and cheer for their Queen as they begin following her down the Royal Mile. The Earl of Moray quickly rides to the front of the gathering to address his concern to Mary.
"Forgive me your majesty, but do you think it wise to publicly show the people that you are welcoming Catholics into your court when Scotland is now a protestant country?" he asks as he rides beside her. 
"As a catholic Queen, I will welcome my own and respect the newly reformed church. There is no need to fight over religion – I must show that we can live together in tolerance" she responds, determined to avoid conflict. 
"I'm not sure John Knox will agree with that!" Moray responds.
"John Knox?" Mary asks. "Who is he?" 
"He leads the Protestant congregation here, and he has many devoted followers to his cause. Your mother was discreet and careful to avoid them, but you might have just let them in on your doorstep!" he warns her. 
Mary looks and turns to the crowds covering the street, and notices a change in their reception as they see the Huntly's are now part of her association. She hears certain people booing and screaming anti-Catholic remarks, realising the extreme religious situation in Scotland.
"Why didn't you tell me about this?" she asks her brother, now concerned for how she will rule a divided religious country.
"I assumed the Huntly's returned North after your mother died, but they must have stayed here waiting for your return" he responds.
Mary accepts the situation and intends to make the best of it as she ignores the chanting and enters the gates of Holyrood Palace. She vaguely remembers her childhood residence as memories of playing in the grounds come back to her. She notices the grounds are more heavily guarded since Henry sent his forces, and embraces her home. As her party jump of their horses, she instructs the Huntly's to make themselves comfortable in the Great Hall. Bothwell lays his hand out to help her off her horse, but she raises a straight hand to him.
"Don't assume that I need a man's help!" she tells him wittingly before jumping off.
Bothwell lets out a small laugh. "It might prove useful - you've seen how hardy the Scottish people are!" he tells her. 
"Then should we ever go to war I'll have you to defend me from these ghastly protestant forces!" she tells him jokingly. However, he is not amused and looks to her seriously. 
"The Huntly's can provide you a lot of men, but it wouldn't be enough. I can provide you with hundreds more if you ever need them. Just ask!" he tells her, hoping to provide her with reassurance.
"That is comforting to know" Mary replies smiling. "Come to my chambers and help me unpack!" she instructs him. 
Bothwell follows his Queen to her chambers alongside David and her ladies in waiting as her lords carry their belongings from the carriage. She arrives to the newly constructed apartments that had been built during her time in France. David and her ladies are directed to their chambers while the Queen is taken upstairs to her private bedroom. As she takes off her overcoat, Bothwell reaches into his pocked and takes out a small box.
"I've got something here for you" Bothwell tells her, causing her to turn round to him. He pulls out a gold necklace with a rose pendant and offers it into her hand. Mary takes it and stares into it with fascination. "It belonged to your mother" he continues. "I thought it was right that you should have it". 
"It's beautiful" Mary smiles. "Thank you, Bothwell" she says, looking to him. 
"I also want to give it to you personally as a symbol of my protection. As long as you wear it, you will be safe from harm" he tells her. 
"Oh, what a lovely gesture!" Mary says in appreciation. "I shall wear this with honour" she continues as she turns around and pulls down her upper garment so Bothwell can put the necklace on her. He puts it round her neck and locks it, then pulls himself closer to her to whisper in her ear.
"What happened to not needing a man's help?" he tells her, causing her to laugh and turn round to him.
"There are times of exception" she says with a smile. "Now, help me put my things away!" she says as she starts taking out her jewellery from the case. Bothwell begins hanging her garments in the cupboards.
"Do you plan on changing for court?" Bothwell asks. Mary turns to look at him in disbelief at this question. "Just in case you want me to leave anything out for you" he continues. 
"No, I want to see this as my home not a court. It isn't a formality; we are all friends." She tells him.
"I'm glad to hear that, and I'm sure the rest will be. It will make us all feel more at home and relaxed" he responds. 
"Yes, now let's go and see to our guests and not leave them waiting too long!" Mary advises before heading downstairs to the Great Hall. As she enters with Bothwell following, she is greeted by the Huntly's who stand for their Queen and bow to her before sitting back down. Her brother and his nobles are stood at the other side of the table. 
"Your Majesty" he says, bowing his head. Mary makes her way to the top of the table and sits down with Bothwell beside her. She waits until everyone is sat before addressing the court. 
"My lords and ladies. I am honoured to be welcomed home by such loyal friends and family whose support I can count on. I can see that Scotland is reforming, and as a Catholic Queen, I will pray that my subjects who are converted will find peace and comfort in their religion as I have in mine. Everyone is free to worship who they choose, and I will not tolerate any discrimination or violence in this kingdom." 
"Your majesty, the parliament has abolished the practice of mass. Permitting that sort of ceremony anywhere would be unwise if you want to attain the favour of the Privy Council" her brother advises her. 
"If I choose to practice mass with my priest, that is my own business, and I expect the same respect from my subjects" she responds. 
"A wise move, your majesty" Lady Huntly comments. "There are many Catholics here who pray to mass worship with their Queen, and we must do it without interference". 
"Open St Giles to abolish the new rule that only protestant congregations are allowed" George advises her. "John Knox has been given too much power, and he has driven us all away from attending the church that was once ours". 
"We have our chapel here at Holyrood that nothing will change. Maybe it's good that both Protestants and Catholics have their own place to worship in peace" Mary suggests to her audience. "All Catholics of this country are welcome to worship in our chapel". 
"When the protestant churchmen find out their                 Queen only accepts Catholics in her church, they will rebel against you. It would be wiser to forbid any change" her brother suggests. 
"But that would be blasphemy against his holiness the Pope!" George Huntly protests in response before looking to Mary. "Your French friends and Scottish friends expect you to restore the true faith to this country. Do not let these protestant lords persuade you otherwise!" 
Mary stops for a moment to think before Bothwell intervenes. "You don't have to listen to all this nonsense, we can settle this and I'll force them out" he suggests, expressing his disinterest in religious debates. 
"A marriage to a catholic would win you the support of so many from abroad and secure your reign. My son is a born and bred catholic who would give you children!" Lady Huntly instructs her. 
Mary rolls her eyes at the topic of marriage again, and is tempted to act on Bothwell's offer. Instead, she acts as a diplomat and reasons with the court. 
"I shall forbid any change in religious affairs. My subjects and my court remain free to worship whoever they chose in private, and I will not use my position to impose an uncertain fate on anyone" she announces. 
"You have our approval" her brother tells her, while the Huntly's don't look so pleased with her response. "Not overturning the protestant reformation and allowing Catholics to remain content is the best course of action". 
Mary smiles and looks to the Huntly's again. "We will still have our mass in the Chapel, and your friends are welcome to join us. On the topic of marriage, I have only just arrived and am recently widowed. I would like to settle in my new home first". 
Lady Huntly nods in understanding. "Take as much time as you need, we will pray with you!".
"I think she is capable of deciding for herself who she wants to marry and when!" Bothwell suggests to Anne. 
Mary looks to Bothwell and subtly thanks him before addressing the court again. "Elizabeth refused us safe passage through England. If we are to rule side by side as neighbours, I will do her the favour of respecting our protestants. But I stand by the Treaty declared in France, that I am to be named successor to the English throne".
"Your majesty, that is not wise. You will be inviting civil war." 
"And what do you know of war? All you do is scheme and sign papers. Have you ever held a sword in battle?" Bothwell asks him.
"No and I don't intend do. But if need be, I have enough resources to gather an army!" he responds.
"I'm curious to know, which side would you be fighting on?" Bothwell asks. 
"That is enough for today!" Mary interrupts. "Let's celebrate and organise a feast for this evening. It is our first night together, so we must make it enjoyable!" she tells the court, changing the subject to a happier one. The Huntly's and Moray's men agree with her and depart from The Great Hall to prepare for the party. 
Mary enjoyed the rest of the evening getting to know her people personally, and formed a close bond with John Huntly, as she knew his mother was determined to arrange a marriage. She was courteous, humorous and confident as she mingled with the Scottish lords and her brother's friends, eager to make a good impression on her subjects. She enjoyed drinks with her ladies in waiting and David, who provided the music entertainment. As he played a melodic Italian tune on his violin, he was interrupted when Lord Moray approached him.
"You're a very talented player, where did you learn?" he asks him.
"Rome, my lord!" he responds.
"Fascinating! It's nice to have a musician for all court events. Let that be your only role, as the Queen will not benefit from a foreigner's advice!" he instructs him before walking away. 
David was determined to argue back, but continued playing as if nothing happened. He looked over at Bothwell sitting on his own, and decided to sit beside him. 
"Have you come to try it with me?" Bothwell asks, clearly having had too much to drink. "My heart is on another so you have no chance!"
"Your heart is on the Queen?" David asks suspiciously. 
"I want her. Not her power. Not any title. Just her. I fell in love with her the moment I saw her!" Bothwell spills out. 
"But she can't marry you, you have nothing to offer her" David advises.
"You're right. I'll just sit on the side and watch as she dances with the man who was meant for her" he says, staring at John as he charms the Queen with speaking French and dancing. "This is too much, I'm going. Goodnight!" he tells David before leaving for his chamber. After the party, Mary proceeded to her chambers with her ladies in waiting having enjoyed her night, and David follows behind them as they immediately fall asleep on the bed. He planned to tell Mary about Bothwell's outburst, but decided to wait until the next day as he proceeds to his chamber.